Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal Fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in New Member Introductions
:| HI,
I'm new at this, not sure how to navigate either. HELP!
Anyway I just found out today I need to have spinal fusion, L-4, with hardware. I am 71 and not looking forward to this. Would appreicate any words of encouragement, and advice. Thanks a bunch..............
advertisement

Comments

• Hi,

You are in the right place to get info that will be lots of help in preparing for your surgery! I read the suggestions here before I had fusion surgery and post-surgery for weeks before I worked up the nerve to post here. I am not sure how to post a link here but the Post-Op Must Haves list by saltzworks listed at the top of this forum is invaluable!

You probably have many questions at this point - I certainly did! Many members have posted their recovery experiences here - some good, some not as good. My fusion surgery was in July 2008 so I am almost 3 months post-surgery and though recovery is SLOW I am progressing. I was able to travel for 11 hours total (flights, layover, car) on Monday and another 4 hours on Tuesday with no ill effects. I walk, do things I can around the house without bending, twisting or lifting, run short errands, etc. But, nonetheless the recovery is not easy. Gaining back energy and stamina has been slow and frustrating - being patient with the process is hard. I did not really believe it when told it can take a year or two to get back to full-speed but now I do! (The rate of recovery is very different for different people and some are doing far more than I am at this point.)

By the way, I am no "spring chicken" - had my 58th birthday earlier this month.

Feel free to ask any questions and I will try to answer - as will other members. I was blessed in having 2 good friends who had had fusion surgery before I did - I think I drove them crazy with all my goofy questions (for example - how will I shave my legs?) in the month before my surgery. Then of course after surgery I had many new questions. So - don't hesitate to ask!

When is your surgery and how will they do the fusion - anterior, posterior, both???

• MegB is correct. There is a list of post op must haves on the surgery forum that will be extremely helpful to you. When is your surgery? Have you tried all conservative measures? How long have you been suffering? We will be here to support and encourage you through the entire process. You are not alone but among people that truly understand what you are going through. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • Welcome, I hope the surgery helps you get back to a more pain free life. I haven't had surgery yet myself but wish you success with yours. I would also recommend always a second opinion from another Doctor. See you around. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. have you tried any pt or medications? of course you should talk these things over with your doctor. :-C i would be very careful having surgery at your young age. a second or even third opinion is such a good idea. i am happy to answer any questions about the forum. i am not having surgery but we do have pain in common. good luck with whatever you decide. be sure and ask all kinds of questions until you are satisfied with the answers! Jenny :)
  • Hi, I’m a 35 year’s old, I was injured on 6/06. Since then I have had 10 epidural shots countless pills and was told I needed surgery (L5 S1 Fusion with hardware) my first visit (12/07) to a Neurosurgeon! The surgery was set for Dec. 20 but the very day before (after pre-op) it was canceled my w/c adjuster never authorized it!! She did however authorize it the next day!!..?? I just don't have the nerve now to follow through....Last week was my last epidural in the series; I just hope they last longer than 2 months this time. I just have not seen many good things about the L5S1 fusion. Has anyone had any positive results? Please just let me your thoughts. I do work 32 hours a week in a slow paced office, so I can sit most of the time but is my life supposed to be this way....I know this is rambling but nobody else seems to understand.
advertisement