Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back Surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Lower Back Pain
HI I AM A NEW PERSON TO THIS,BUT I NEED TO TELL MY STORY.
IN 2006 I WENT TO HELP A STORE REOPEN AFTER KATRINA I LEFT WORK AND WAS ON MY WAY TO THE HOTEL WHEN I WAS HIT BY A 18 WHEELER- THE LORD TOOK THE WHEEL THAT DAY, ANYWAYS AFTER MOUNTHS OF PT AND SHOTS AND PAIN KILLERS I HAD BACK SURGERY AND IT WORK FOR A WHILE THAN I STARTED HAVING SERVE PAIN ON MY RIGHT LOWER BACK DOWN MY LEG, MY SURGEN SET ME TO A PAIN MAGEMENT DOCTOR AND EVERYTIME I GO TO HIM A TELL HIM THE PAIN GETS WORSE I AM HANDED MORE PAIN PAIN PILLS TENTS MACHINE PATCHES AND EVERYTHING ELSE. OK THAT IS THE START OF MY NIGHTMEAR OH I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT I WAS STILL ON THE CLOCK WHEN I WAS HIT SO EVERYTHING IS PAID BY WORKMENS COMP SO I HAVE THAT NIGHTMEAR SO I CAN'T GO TO A NEW DOCTOR BUT WHEN EVER THERE IS A SETTLEMENT GUESS WHAT MY EMPLOYER WILL GET IT OR WHAT EVER THE MEDICAL BILLS ARE.SO HERE IS MY NEXT NIGHTMEAR SINCE MY BACKSURGERY I NOW HAVE MS IN TALKING TO MY BATE NURSE YESTERDAY SHE FIRST STATED THAT MY PAIN IN MY BACK IS NOT FROM MS MY NERO OR MS DR STATED THE SAME THING AND THAT I NEEDED TO TELL THE PAIN DR TO TAKE A MRI. ALSO THE NURSE TOLD ME SOMETHING VERY INTRESTING THAT SHE HAS COME ACROSS AT LEASE 10 PEOPLE THAT HAD BACK SURGERY AND ENDED UP WITH MS.SHE STATED THAT SHE DOES NOT KNOW IF IT IS CAUSE BY MEDS OR STRESS AND BELIEVE ME STRESS IS PROBLEY THE TOP OF LIST.IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE THAT HAD BACK SURGERY AND LEATER FOUND OUT THEY HAVE MS.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Sorry to hear your sad tale. :|

There are a few who seem to have MS on these boards.
    I often wondered...i think the nerve symptoms we have in our legs can mirror some of the symptoms, but i am no expert and I guess the definitive is the scan they do to formally diagnose MS.

Interesting idea tho. I wonder what the others will say??
  • I wonder whisch way that this will go. Could it be that MS sufferers are being misdiagnosed and not finding out until after surgery is done? I am no expert but it does not seem likely that the surgery could cause MS. I will keep an eye on this post.
    BTW- I am so sorry to hear of all of the pain that you are enduring. I have heard that it is not easy dealing with W/C. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • I had ACDF C5/C6 June 10 2015. My road to recovery has been rough and still have really bad nerve damage and other issues that have started since surgery. The damage I have is from the surgery and not from the compression or at least that is what my Doc's have led me to think.

That changed yesterday when I finally went to my first Neuro appointment. After a ton of questions and clinical tests for reflexes, balance and sticking a pin all over. The right side of my body basically failed all of the tests. I was shocked to see how bad my reflexes were and that I couldn't feel the pin pricks. I expected it from my arms and hands but not legs and feet. I was told that nerve damage from surgery only explains 1/3 of my symptoms. She asked if any Dr's over the last 5 years of dealing with my neck issue had ever mentioned MS. I actually laughed and said yes 3 of them. However each time they did an MRI on my back. My neck became the answer to all.

So after scheduling an MRI for my head and nerve studies, I went home a little freaked out. After doing some research on symptoms I realized she was right. MS does explain almost everything. What I also read was that having a titanium plate put in your body can actually trigger MS to become more active or flair. The theory is with MS being an auto immune disorder. Your body's immune system goes into overload from the foreign body inside.

I am still doing research on this. I just wanted to put it out there in case someone like me is looking for answers or a place to start and comes to this post.
This discussion has been closed.