Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Glider Rocking Chair?

HaylieCatOwnerHHaylieCatOwner Posts: 117
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, I'm 6 weeks out of surgery for a MicroD, and I was wondering if it's a good idea or not for me to rock in a glider rocking chair? I used to rock in it all the time as I listened to music, but that was before the back pain episode and surgery. The chair isn't a typical rocking chair, in that it glides back and forth instead of actually "rocking". It's the type that has the odoman that also glides (I don't use that much). Has anyone rocked in rocking chairs or on a glider after surgery? I just want to prevent reherniation or other problems.

Yes, I did ask both my NS and the physical therapist about this. They both kind of shrugged their shoulders and said it should be okay, since you use your legs to glide. However, once I sat in the chair, I also noticed how much your butt moves and thus, isn't your lower back affected? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. :)))

Thanks,

Haylie
advertisement

Comments

• Then don't do it. I had a micro d in 2000 and I was leveling dirt three days later. Prolly not the best decision.

I have a question for you. Were the doctors able to determine what happened to cause the immediate herniation?

One Love,

Stephanie
  • Thanks for your quick response. I am not sure how the herniation process works or if the gliding motion will cause it -- so I may have to avoid the risk all together. It's a shame because I miss gliding in my chair. :(

As to your question, no, no one has been able to tell me what caused my initial sudden herniation which led up to the surgery. The physical therapist says she sees people all the time who "just wake up with it" like I did. They generally blame sitting improperly for long periods of time, and assume that I do that as a lawyer, but I don't recall a long period of time where I did that. (And what about all the other improperly-sitting attorneys out there who don't end up with herinated disks?) They also say it could have developed over time and I just didn't know it. Lifting heavy things -- such as law books to school, but that was 7 years ago. I was in a car accident 2 years ago, which could have added to it. But nothing recent happened in the past 2 years out of the ordinary to bring up the acute pain all the sudden. It's scary for me because I don't want this to happen again, and it would be easier to avoid if I know how it happened now. Maybe rocking in the glider contributed somehow?? (That would be terrible!)

By the way, I told my physical therapist I wanted exercises to strengthen my core, thinking that would help prevent future problems. She had me move around while she watched, and then told me I have a strong core (I had done pilates etc. prior to this). So, having a weak core didn't play a role in causing my problems. It's a mystery!

Hugs,
    Haylie
  • moving your butt in the rocking chair then best to avoid it for now.
    I know it is a dissapointment but better to be safe then sorry. :)

Blessings Sara O:)
  • Haylie, I would avoid the glider for now. You want to try to stabilize the area, and if your butt is moving, even slightly, you might be doing harm. 'Tis best to err on the side of caution for now!

Take care!
    Ann
advertisement