Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Had to put one of our horses to sleep today. So sad.

ranchoalmostarranchoalmosta Posts: 120
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Matters of the Heart
She was my husband's horse but he hasn't paid attention to her in a long time. I rode her and my sister rode her. She was a special and good girl, our Dolly. We don't know what happened but may have been bitten by a snake. She had a huge abcess in the back of her mouth and I rushed her to the equine hospital yesterday. They took care of the abcess and in the process had to give her a tracheotomy. This morning they said her tongue was necrotic and she was 19. Even if she could recover it would take weeks and thousands of dollars, with no guarantee. I had to make the decision because I couldn't get ahold of my husband. Well, I am in a fog in between crying jags so better shut up. Time to leave work which is good 'cause I just want to crawl into bed.
Teri
advertisement

Comments

• I'm very sorry that you had to go through that. I'm sure that your vet tried everything possible to help out your Dolly. At 19, she lived a good life and I'm sure she is in a place where she can relax and just wander wonderful green fields in the sun munching on the sweet grass. She was very lucky to have someone who loved her as you do!

Take care,

"C"
  • I'm so sorry Terri. I remember when I was 14 and I had to put my pony down. For me, that was a bigger loss than any other animal I've ever had. Horses are special animals.
  • Teri, Im so sorry for the loss, whether its a horse, cat or dog,they are a part of our familys. My deepest regards to your family. I was only 14 yrs old and I found my horse rigged, walking stiff as a board and trying hard to whinney, as I called his name...Goldenboy, (beautiful palamino quarter horse). I ran back to the house about 2 miles away bawling, called my dad and we called the vet,he gave him muscle relaxants to ease the stiffness. He drew some blood to make the diagnosis...Lockjaw, caused by tetanus, My dad wouldnt let me go back to him until later in the day, and when I did he was laying in the pasture, feet straight out (like a statue)moaning in pain and trying to whinney to me, God that almost killed me, I had to say goodby to my best friend, as I cradled his head in my lap. Sorry, your post brought back memories, and I had to let them out again after 35 years, its was like yesterday. Have you read the "rainbowbridge poem"? it is so heartwarming, but it will leave you bawling. Sincerly Rose
  • I am so very sorry for your loss. I get so very attached to pets that when I lose them I just do not recover. So, I swore that I would never have another pet because I just could not take the pain of losing them. Now, I have two parrots which I originally thought would outlive me but now I do not think that will be the case. Sorry to ramble but between Cory's dog and your horse, it is just heartwrenching. I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts.
  • I am so sorry. My daughter is so very much into horses. So I can imagine how that felt. It's that way with any type of animal that has been around for so long.
    Hang in there. It will get better for you in a few weeks.
    I will say a little thought for you before bed O:) O:) O:)
    Get some rest hun >:D<
  • ranchoalmosta,hi! :H i lived in Mexico for almost 4 years and belonged to a group which went around and put horses and cows to sleep that had been hit by a car or fell in a hole by the road. one of my favorite dogs was bitten by a snake there and my whole heart wept many tears for her. anyway, i had a hard time at first putting the animals down but after seeing the suffering they were going through it became easier!! i loved each and everyone for the few moments we spent together and can see all of their eyes sometimes in dreams. :X i can only guess at the sadness you are feeling over a friend you knew for so long. heaven is a beautiful place and Dolly will never forget you! >:D< Jenny :)
  • A few years back, my Aunts horse had to be put down. Her name was Spooky. I think it was West Nile? We found her one morning laying on her side, and she couldn't stand up. I remember what a traumatic day that was for all of us, including Spooky's colt Annie. She went on a tear, stampeding through the yard, charging at us and turning at the last split second. We tried to keep her on the other side of the house away from her mom, but she knew. Horses are such amazing creatures, I will never forget that day. I hope that you are getting lots of good rest. Please remember that you did the right thing, as she is no longer suffering.

Lots of hugs...
    Amanda
  • im sure you ll have alot of happy memories to help you through the greiving process,for wether its a human or animal the loss you feel can be overwhelming at times .thank goodness for memories.
  • I am so sorry for your loss. Amanda is so right - horses are the most amazing, beautiful, graceful, majestic creatures.... You grieve as much as you need to. I cried for 3 days when my dog Jacques (Jack) had to be put to sleep. I held his head in my arm, and stroked him as I told him how sorry I was that I could not save him. It hurts. But, I saw how much he was suffering and knew it was the right thing to do.

Words can't convey how sorry I am. I do know you will meet again soon.

I asked my oldest brother once if he believed animals went to heaven.

His reply was that he didn't want to go if they didn't.

Take care, hon.

Jeaux
  • The new site is called aqha horses for sale. If you click on the name it will take you over to the site.
  • When a friend of mine had to have her dog put to sleep she asked the vet if he believed that there were animals in heaven. I will never forget his reply -- "The Lord is coming back on a horse. Where do you think he got it?" Then my friend was able to let go of her dog, knowing that she would see him again.

Peace be with you at the loss of your friend,

Rusty
  • That is so sweet! Thanks!
advertisement