Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hola

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in New Member Introductions
HI everybody. I am 32 and had surgery for scoliosis when I was 15. I have two Harrington rods and had the bone graft from my hip. I was fine until my late twenties. I now have strange pains that come and go. Sometimes they are in my knees, sometimes in my butt. I don't know the details, I am looking in to getting a copy of my medical records. I had my surgery at a Shriner's Clinic in Shreveport. My body is becoming increasingly asymmetrical. I can't get insurance because they exclude my back and they only insurance that would cover my back I cannot afford.
How do you deal with the pain? The left side of my body is so much larger than my right, but this was not that case five years ago. Of course it wasn't symmetrical. Is this a sign of something going wrong with the rods?
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to Spine Health. I don't have scoliosis, but I do have issues with asymmetry. Mine was due to denervation of muscles in my neck and subsequent nerve compression into my shoulders. It is not fun and very painful without medication and spinal cord stimulation.

There are so many things that can cause asymmetry, that without having a doc take a look and do some imaging studies, you would just be guessing.

I hope you can find a way to get the insurance issue worked out. I'm sure more members will be here soon to offer up ideas based on their own experiences.

Take care,

"C"
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i have had back problems since i was 15 so i know what having surgery in your teen years can mean. perhaps there is a teaching hospitol in your area. i have some information on that if you are interested. good luck with your pain treatment. =D> Jenny :)
  • I am so sorry to hear of your pain. I have noticed lots of new members here that are having problems with the same type of surgery that you mention. Would you possibly qualify for state health insurance? There mus t be somebody out there that can help! Are you able to get any pain meds? Good luck and I hope that you find relief soon.