Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

oxy 3 xs a day?

dmoonchildddmoonchild Posts: 383
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Pain Medications
Does anyone take Oxycontin 3 X's a day? Does it help? Im taking it every 12 hours and since Ive gone back to work its just not doing it. I dont want to increase my BT meds. Is it proper to request 3 x;s a day from my PM. It gives me the best pain relief with no side effects. Thanks for any input
advertisement

Comments

• My PM is anti B/T medication. He prescribes three 80 mg Oxycontin per day. I don't rock the boat with him about this. I am just grateful for a doctor who will prescribe adequate medication. I didn't start out taking this much, but I was always prescribed three per day.
  • that it would be absolutely OK to ask doc to up the Oxy. especially if that is what it takes to control your pain. My doc also would rather that I take higher doses of the opiates rather than use b/t meds. The opiates are much easier on your organs and system in general. Good luck to you.
  • Instead of asking the doc to increase my meds when this similar thing happened to me, I would discuss with him the length of time I was getting relief from each dose. That combined with the amount of times I required breakthrough meds, he determined that every XX number of hours was not adequate coverage and changed the number of times per day I was to take the meds.

"C"
  • thanks everyone, like I said I would rather have the oxy increased than the vicoden especially because of all the Tylenol.
  • I've heard so many horror stories about patient's going to their PM doc and asking for a specific med increase, and the doc suddenly seeing them as a drug seeker. When I noticed, years ago, that 2 doses of Oxycontin weren't working well, I just told my doc that I felt that the med did not last a full 12 hours. More like 7 or 8. He was the one to suggest adding the 3rd dose. I think that approach is more likely to help your doc understand your needs.

Also, be aware that because the maunufacturer's recommended dose is 2x/day, many insurance companies will require an authorization to increase it to 3x/day. My insurance also requires that the auth be re-requested every 6 months.

Best of luck. Mitzi
  • I went to my Dr today and we decided to increase my BT meds from Vicodin 7>5 to Oxycodone 5mg 3 x's a day. Seems to be doing the trick. I love my PM dr!
  • Ahh yes, I remember being extremely afraid of trying to convince my doctors to raise my dose when I was not getting satisfactory treatment from the current dosage. Luckily, now I have an extremely understanding PM who will basically prescribe me anything. In terms of the topic, I was on Oxycontin 20mgs a day, but since I have nerve pain, Methadone is what really helped me. I hope you feel better! :)))
advertisement