Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe left foot pain after L5S1 disc surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone who had a discectomy @L5S1 had
experienced any symptoms after surgery!
It has been 2 weeks now and I have severe left foot pain constantly. I am also numb on side of hamstring muscle.
It has been getting worse instead of better now that i am off pain killers. I am in severe pain walking, sitting and laying in bed! :''(

The Doctor wants to take another MRI which i thought i was done with!
I am wondering if anyone else had these symptoms after disc surgery?
Thanks for any input! Paul
advertisement

Comments

• I'm sorry to hear you are in so much pain. I'm also sorry to say yes I have been there and my disc reherniated again just days after my microdiscectomy surgery. On the bright side I'm doing really well now and off all pain medications. You'll want to get that MRI to see what's going on in there. With the amount of pain you say you are in it sounds like it could be a reherniation.
  • I also wanted to add that my pain like yours was terrible and the first thing my surgeon did was give me methylprednisolone or also called Medrol pack. That got rid of quite a bit of the pain or made it tolerable that is. Then I got neurontin which helped a lot and then I had an Epidural Steroid Injection and gradually got better.
  • Michelle,
    I called the doctor and he said it could be multiple things!
    I have scheduled an MRI for Wednesday! I am in much more pain now than before surgery! I did go through two rounds of steroid injections with no results before deciding to do surgery!
    Most people who I talked to who had microD @ L5 S1 were pain free immediately!
    At 38 and healthy I thought I would have recovered more quickly! The thought of living with this pain makes me understand how people get addicted to pain killers (i have never been one to take pills at all)!
    Thank You for your help!
    Paul
  • Hey there!
    I have had two laminectomy/discectomies on my L5/S1 due to a large extrusion both times. My first surgery was in March 07 and the second in August 08. In mid-September the horrible sciatica and low back pain was back with a vengeance! :''( I called my OS and had another MRI. The disc has herniated a THIRD time and now I am going to have a one level ALIF fusion in late November. I am so sorry you are going through pain again. I was in worse pain after my second surgery. Keep us posted on the MRI results. Good luck! >:D<
  • Have you found out anything yet with your MRI?
  • I'm 6 wks post op from L4-5 disectomy laminecotmy and have had pred dose pk 2xs now and on neurotin for nerve pain in left knee down to big toe. Sciatic pain also still and throbbing on bottom of foot which were most of my issues going into the surgery. So I'm still having same pain plus new pain and nerve issues. I couldn't even get into see my surgeon until my 6 wk check up which I thought was a bit unprofessional when I was having so much trouble. Well he said that there is no use getting an MRI until at least 2 more months bc there's so much swelling and healing going on that it will be very hard for the radiologist to read correctly?????!!!!!!! I have read in several posts how people have gotten reherniated not long after their surgery bc they had another MRI!!! I'm very frustrated in my surgeon and did voice this but got no where in my opinion. Has anyone else had this issue?
    Dawn williams
  • nreidnnreid Posts: 8
    edited 05/14/2015 - 11:14 PM
    I had a disctomey on my L5S1 disc 15 months ago in February 2014 and had massive siatica pain down my left leg 6 weeks after the operation. The pain was worse than before i went for the surgery but when I went for a n MRI review, everything looked absolutely normal. It turned out that the natural swelling inside the wound site was pressing on the nerve and once the natural swelling subsided the siatica disappeared. It took about three weeks for the swelling to go down but once it did, everything was back to normal and i made a good recovery. Hope this helps. Stay positive.
  • Thanks Nreid. I'm really hoping for this to be true. I know I have a lot of inflammation going on right now bc this is my 2nd round of medrol dose pk and I feel like I'm getting better after the first few days on the medrol pks but then when I decrease it the pain just comes right back but worse each time now. I just hope all I need is more time.
    Dawn williams
advertisement