Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

took a spill...craziness ensues

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Lower Back Pain
so a few days ago i was walking on a wet concrete floor and slipped. i halfway caught myself but still hit the ground pretty hard. at the time i didn't think anything of it. in the following days i have had these symptoms in chronological order.

night of the injury: back pain, similar to that of regular "i slept funny or something"

next morning: my tail bone or something in my very lowest lower back protruding just under the skin. located just above my "crack"

following day: very centralized redness in a circle surrounding the protruding bone. with some slight swelling

this morning: ok here's where it gets gross. the skin seemed to have a small scab like spot. where the bone protrudes the most. which then opened in the shower and a mixture of blood and some sort of puss is coming out. also it should be noted that this combination is probably one of the most foul smelling things i have ever smelled.

incidentally since opening, there is a significant drop in the amount of pain i feel. the protrusion seems to have gone down a little. could have just been the swelling is gone but i'm still out of whack. i've got an appointment to see a chiropractor tomorrow because i've got a credit with him. but as i am a touring musician i have no health insurance and can't afford a medical doctor or hospital visit.

have i broken my back? am i being irresponsible by not heading to the E.R. right now? will i be safe to find those things out from a chiropractor tomorrow morning?

just thought i'd throw this out there. its all kind of freaking me out a little.

also i'm pretty much fine in terms of mobility. tylenol keeps pain at bay. and im just moving a little gingerly now. nothing debilitating but i also have sort of a high threshold for pain.
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to spine-health,

while none of us can give medical advice here, it does sound like a doctor should take a look at it before too long.Better to be safe than sorry down the road, as to whether an ER is necessary is really dependent of how bad your feeling.If you have a primary doctor who will see you reasonably fast that would save you some big bucks.

If it was me, I would get doctor involved asap.

good luck
  • Are there any free clinics there? It sounds like you need to have that sore looked at and maybe xrays. Perhaps the chiro will order an xray and let you know of a Doctor to go to. Do you have a fever? Remember tylenol can also mask a temperature which would show an infection. If no free clinics I would pay the fee at an ER or Urgent care to get that looked at. Keep us posted. This suggestion is in no ways medical in any nature. I'm not a Doctor as only a MD cr Nurse Practioner can make a diagnosis. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • That's a tough one. I personally would have gone to the ER. They can't turn you away just because you don't have insurance. If you messed something up, there may not necessarily be any pain involved. Nerves are a funny thing.

If you choose to go to the chiro, I would absolutely tell him about what is going on before he touches you. I would imagine that he will send you to the the regular doc.

Of course this is just my personal opinion and not professional medical advice.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • so i guess when i fell, right at the site of the wound an abscess formed which my body smartly drained for me. got some x-rays and all is well. other than my alignment being pretty far out of whack. had an adjustment at the chiro and i feel great. thanks for the advice everybody! i'm back on the road tomorrow.
  • I am glad that it was simple to take care of.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.