Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Very upset-have you experienced this?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
So I went to see my other neuro today, should have know better as when I first went to see her when all my pains started she said that there was nothing wrong with me--mind you she never ordered tests just did a basic office exam.

I showed her my report and MRI that shows loss of curve, stenosis and protrusion on my c spinal cord. She said its no big deal and that most people have this. She said it would not be the cause of any of my symptoms and that my symptoms are from a chemical imbalance and I should see a physch. She said not to go see a NS!!

I asked her in so many words if she is willing to bet her license on this being "a chemical imbalance".

Is it true that most people have this on their spinal cord? If so, then I suppose my primary is over reacting in that I need to see a NS>
advertisement

Comments

• to say the least as she's never ran any tests whatsoever and can make that kind of assessment.
  • I know, I found it interesting too that should could not explain why at times when I put my neck down my entire left leg vibrates-literally there have been times I go up/down up/down with my neck and my leg has gone vibrate/off vibrate/off. She just said "you really need to go on heavy medication for the chemical imbalance in your head".

I also said, well if a cracked disc that protrude on my spinal cord is normal and no big deal then I guess I am fine to continue my normal work outs. She then said, oh well a physical therapist can fix that in 10 sessions.

Nice. So I guess either my primary dr or she is wrong. Now which is it?
  • K, I think you do still need to see your NS or orthopedic spine surgeon. Not to say that you need surgery, but there is a difference in a neurologist and a neuro surgeon. If I remember correctly, you have an appointment already set up in November, so thankfully you won't have to wait too long.

The on/off vibration you are feeling in your legs is concerning. Google the term Lhermittes and see if this fits.

FYI, reversal of normal curvature of the c-spine is quite common. In fact, I have seen very few c-spineys who don't have that. Alone, that would not be an issue to worry about (in my opinion). But coupled with the protrusion and the other symptoms you are having, I think you are wise to be getting checked out.

Good luck to you, and please keep us posted. I'll be interested to hear what the NS says.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Thanks Neck, I agree that its important I see a NS. This Dr tried to talk me out of it thinking I would jump into surgery. She said, I am afraid you will tell the Dr your symptoms (well, yes I will) and he will send you in for surgery when its just anxiety causing all of this. Okay, yes I am anxious over WHY I have felt this way-but that did not start this. She could not explain why my feet will vibrate or why I can get nerve pains in my feet, especially sometimes when I put my neck down. Makes sense to me for my neck to have some involvement in at least this. Also, seeing as he is the top NS in this city, I am sure he can read my MRI correctly to determine if THIS is the cause

I would be surprised to hear stenosis with contact on my cord is not a big deal, sounds like it is to me!
  • Most folks have some degenerative spinal changes as they age. That said, I agree that you should seek a another opinion if possible. Your anxiety is understood. It's upsetting/scary to think of this stuff going on in your body! --Mazy
  • Does she have shares in a pharmacutical company? Most PCP's hesitate to perscribe "heavy medication" I would certainly get a neuro-surgeons opinion, and maybe even a new PCP. Just my opinion.
  • Ha, good point--I dont know. However, she said I needed it because I dont have pain from my neck, its from a chemical imbalance in my brain!

I called my PC and told him this and that she said not to see a NS> He said DO NOT cancel the NS, that I have got to see him and that he rushed the appt for me. He said my symptoms along w MRI should not be ignored
  • for you! Sounds like at least one of your docs has some sense. When is your appointment?
  • My appt w the NS isnt till Nov 13-sigh But going to see another neuro tomorrow
  • I am wondering which chemical it could be causing this? Also, I have never heard of PT correcting a crack in the disc. From what I have learned, cracked discs come from stress/tension on the disc, age, loss of fluid, genetics, trauma, etc. Disc bulges are very common, and many people have them and don't know, true, but you have some symptoms that may indicate problems--thus further investigation. I think your gut feeling is right. Do you have other symptoms other than the leg vibration? You mentioned that the disc/stenosis is on your spinal cord. Is it compressing the cord? Is it actually touching it, or just near? An MRI in and of itself shouldn't be the only thing used to diagnose you. Symptoms (clinical evaluation of your reflexes, neurologic status, pain, etc. are all really important). Was the doc who diagnosed you with a chemical imbalance thorough in your exam? Did she test your reflexes, do a thorough neuro exam, ask you lots of questions about your symptoms? Why not just keep the appointment and get his/her point of view? The spinal cord thing has me worried about you (that is my case). Please let me know how things go. How was the appointment with the new doc?
  • Thanks for offering me your feedback. Apparently I do have distortion and contact on my spinal cord. My symptoms are so odd so I dont think its all related but some I would say are. I have tingling and other times vibration in my left foot on and off. I have had odd body pains. They feel like deep toothaches that seem to hit random fingers, random toes, my ankles (not both at once). I have had a right sided eye pain that seems to be getting worse. I have had non stop muscle twitches all over, I feel like a popcorn machine. Finally, at the onset of the pains I noticed EXTREME joint cracking. This would not be related and I am not sure the jumping pains are either.

Another odd thing is I have had a bruise type of feeling in the middle of my back, right above my bra strap which is on the right side of my spine. This is constant and I feel it more in the am. I was told I have slight DDD in the middle of my back.

The neuro did do an in office exam, and asked me about my symptoms. However, she never had sent me in for testing. It was my PC that did.

The other neuro I saw said it was good to go see the NS but also is not sure if its the cause for everything.

So, I am stumped... I guess I will have to wait till mid Nov!
  • Don't be so sure that all your symptoms aren't from your cervical area.i had many many symptoms before i had my operation that a lot of docs. said couldn't be linked to my cord compression,but after my surgery they went away.Cord compression can cause all kinds of weird symptoms.i also have that vibration and still do.it feels like my nerves are vibrating very quickly.if thats what your feeling.That deep ache your talking about could be nerve pain.Also had it.once i had the surgery it slowly went away.Many doctors told me that i couldn't have symptoms go passed my upper back for neck problems but when i saw my surgeon he told me that all my symptoms were coming from my neck. Good luck to you.
  • Sounds like you did the best thing for yourself and that was against what the initial doc said, I actually fired my doctor of 30 years (Im 39) over my problem, he said it was tendonitis gave me some shots that did nothing and sent me on my way. Did not think I needed xrays or ct scans or any of that stuff. My new doctor just sat and listened to me, put me on an anti-inflamitory that stopped that pain in 2 tablets! There was a 2 month lag between firing the old doc and seeing the new one. The new doc also ordered xrays, spiral CT scan and called me twice himself to see how I was doing. When he didnt like my answer off to the MRI machine, resulting in an NS referral! Sometimes I think these doctors need a slap off thier high horse and get back to reality... Ive always loved that joke, Whats the difference between God and Doctors? God doesnt think he's a Doctor!!
advertisement