Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nervous as all get out

eajosepheeajoseph Posts: 315
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Spinal Injections
Tomorrow is my next cortisone injection. After the first one and the horrible experience from that, I am so nervous about this one. :SS It's at 11:30 and the pm did order a valium for me to take. I am to take a vicodin and the celebrex in the morning as well. But I'm still scared as hell. Right now, I don't know that I can do this again.

Anybody have experience with valium? If so, what do you think of it? I've never had one before. Do you think it will take off the edge enough (and make me a big brave girl) to get me to lay on that table again?

Last time I talked to the PM he said he couldn't be sure that this one wouldn't be as bad as the first one. My hubby won't be allowed in the injection room with me either. I would feel better if he was there but as they told me they "are not prepared for that". X( :S
advertisement

Comments

• Good luck tomorrow with the injection...
  • Hi!

I was given valium to take before my surgery last year. It did help just a bit with my nerves as I was a total basket case in the run up to the day. I took one when I woke up in the morning and by my 7:30AM checkin I was OK. Does your PM do any sedation before the injection? All the best. Let us know how it goes.
  • The valium should have a calming effect for you especialy if you have never had it before. Good luck on your epidural.

What happened on the first one that made it so awful? I get my first one this Monday and I am scared to death as well

Good luck
  • Thanks! The valium definitely made me feel different. My thoughts were slower as were my responses. If there is a third one, I will take another one. Plus to my surprise they let my husband go into the injection room with me. That helped too. He held my hands so when the pain started I was able to squeeze his hands. I don't think I broke any bones in his hands. ;))
  • My 3rd injection is scheduled for tomorrow morning. I don't know that we'll actually do it but I'm getting nervous. The first one made things worse. The second one......any relief I got was very short lived.

I called and the dr ordered a Valium for tomorrow. Between that and Vicodin, I'll be pretty looped. My hubby is my driver and I'm taking him in the injection room again. I'm afraid of what they will say if this one fails or isn't done. At the second one the PM said he would recommend surgery since I keep having numbness in my feet and leg pain with weakness. I want to avoid that if at all possible.

So if you could, please pray, send positive vibes, chant, dance naked ;) , or whatever you do. thanks
  • eajoseph said:
    My 3rd injection is scheduled for tomorrow morning. I don't know that we'll actually do it but I'm getting nervous. The first one made things worse. The second one......any relief I got was very short lived.

I called and the dr ordered a Valium for tomorrow. Between that and Vicodin, I'll be pretty looped. My hubby is my driver and I'm taking him in the injection room again. I'm afraid of what they will say if this one fails or isn't done. At the second one the PM said he would recommend surgery since I keep having numbness in my feet and leg pain with weakness. I want to avoid that if at all possible.

So if you could, please pray, send positive vibes, chant, dance naked ;) , or whatever you do. thanks
    Good luck tomorrow,i will say a prayer for you....
  • My PM said that since the first two did pretty much nothing that he wouldn't do the third. He put me on Cymbalta to see if that would help. He also said that he's going to contact my neuro and recommend suurgery. :''( :''( Not what I wanted to hear.
  • Sorry to hear you were not able to have the cortisone injection...
  • I hope everything goes well with your ortho appt. Take care . Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • When I called my neuro's office yesterday, they had an opening for Friday. My husband was going to work from home and go with me and my best friend was going to take my daughter to preschool. But my little girl complained of not feeling well today so I took her to the pediatrician. She has a double ear infection. :( So hubby is staying home with her and I'll go by myself. The drive alone will be really hard on me. 25 minutes each way. That sucks since I used to drive for hours without stopping........

Anyways. I hope to know a little more tomorrow.
  • I'm also headed for the surgeons office, so I know how you feel. Try to be positive, and I hope he/she has some hopeful news for you.

I'm going for a discogram on Dec 3rd, and then the surgeons consult on the 15th. So, more waiting until then.

I thought about trying another ESI, but I wouldn't be able to have one until January. I'm tired of this pain, and don't want to wait that long.

Anyway, I really hope your appointment today goes well. And that the drive isn't too bad for you.
  • Thanks Cathy. Hope your appointment went better than mine.

I am now a surgical candidate. Probably in January since I don't want to do it before then. Holidays, my studies for college, etc. I asked about artifical disc replacement and he said he wouldn't do it since it's been show to not be effective. So it looks like a bi-level fusion. l4/5 and l5/s1

I go back on 11/19 with my husband. The dr wants to talk to both of us. I know that fusion is 60-80% successful and there might already be permanent nerve damage. I'm pretty bummed that it's come to this already. In September, I was too young for this and therefore not a surgical candidate. And now........... It's either suck it up and possibly do more nerve damage or do a fusion. These choices suck!
  • Wow! Can't believe you went from not being a surgical canidate to being one in such a short time. I hope this works for you..

I go in for my second ESI this time in my Thoracic Spine on the 18th. The first one they did on the Cervical spine and it didn't work at all which didn't surprise me since my neck doesn't bother me. I am hopeful that this one will work.

I also have been told I am not a surgical candidate but after reading your posts I wonder if that could be in store for me as well.

Anyway, good luck and take care of yourself...
  • I hope you get relief with your 2nd ESI and that you don't end up in the same boat that I am.

I'm absolutely terrified right now and am trying to be brave in front of my kids (they don't know anything yet since they are 5 and 3). I have a friend who is an OT and she told me that the first day after this type of surgery is horribly painful. She's worked with patients that have gone through it. She did say that by day 3 the same people were walking down the halls so that at least gives me a little hope. Doing lots of praying right now.
advertisement