Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MacKenzie method?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Exercise and Rehab
I've had leg pain (both legs, mainly upper thighs in front) and neuropathy since 2003 - tried all sorts of physical therapy at EDITED, have had @ 12 ESI's, and finally had surgery (laminectomy/discectomy L4/L5) last May and now worse than ever - much worse leg pain, neuropathy and now terrible low back and right hip pain.

I've started PT with someone trained in MacKenzie method - I don't really know about it. Anyone here tried it with any success?

Thanks! Rosa

Hospital name and contact details removed by forum Moderator (paulgla). We do not permit publishing specific doctor's or institution names and contact details.
advertisement

Comments

• Rosa,

Sorry to hear that things haven't gotten better for you. As one whose in the same boat (literally & figuratively) I can empathize. I actually picked up the MacKenzie book prior to surgery (July 07), and leafed through it. Was a quick read, and gave an interesting perpective on the issues of functionality dealing with the back. I gave the stretches a try, and while they didn't help in my case, his approach is pretty logical overall. You might be interested in trying the same, particularly if you're going to a PT who subscribes to his methoology. Wish I could be of more help, and hope things improve.....

Alan
  • I'll look for the book Alan - I've only had 6 treatments so far (I'm scheduled for at least 6 wks/3 times a wk) and no improvement, but also haven't gotten worse, and in my world for the past 5 years, that's good.

If/when I ever see any reaction to the therapy, good or bad, I'll post here.

One note - the therapist does some manipulation that there is no way you can do to yourself, so there may be some advantage to using a therapist rather than just doing the positions on your own. Don't know - but will find out!

Thanks again, Rosa
  • Well, as the old saying goes....no news is good news (or in this case, no worse is good enough...lol!). Will keep my fingers crossed that your treatments offer some improvement, and look forward to hearing the good news (my wife is trying to knock some positive energy into my head....haha!). Feel free to drop a PM if you're ever interested....

Alan
  • Wives are good for!

"C"
  • I had a Laminectomy, discectomy on L4-L5 on Sept. 9, 2008. I sarted PT one week later. My PT uses the McKenzie Method. At first I was afraid to do the extension exercises because when I first hurt my back was told not to lay on my stomach and have not for 20 years. However, I have been doing them and feel better. They actually seem to work for me. And, Kinda funny, I like doing them. I am making progress, I hope. I am 48 years old and have always exercised and have gone to other PTs, chiro. and never did these exercises.
    Go slow and ask lots of questions of your PT. My PT says they should not hurt and if they do stop. Make sure you do them in the office properly before you leave.
    I wish you the best.
  • There is info. on the McKenzie Method on this site under treatment I think. There is a book called Treat Your Own Back by Robin McKenzie. Probably could find in your Library.
  • Did you have leg pain that was helped by McKenzie?

Thanks for the input! Rosa
  • Rosa, Yes I had alot of leg pain from my hip to ankle. I had pain in the back and right side of my leg. Not in my front thigh. I had this pain before and after surgery. Before surgery the pain stopped me from doing almost everything. Even after surgery I was slow and werery of the exercises.
    But once I got going, around 5 weeks post surgery, I do believe the McKenzie exercises did help me. My sciatica pain down my leg is subsiding. I am 7 weeks post surgery and am greatly improved. I have also been walking daily one to three miles. The three mile is broken into two walks, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Lucky, we still have nice weather here.

Peg
  • Well, I am not too optomistic since I'm 5.5 months post-surgery...
    I've been doing the McKenzie PT almost 3 wks now - one last question,
    how long before you noticed any change from the therapy? Should I worry that if I haven't noticed any real improvement after 8 sessions of PT that it's not going to work? I know you can't really answer that - each one of us is different.
    But just wondering how much PT you had before you noticed improvement.

Thanks again! Rosa
  • I've had 3 or 4 sessions of the MacKenzie method with my PT now. The exercise he has me doing helps at the moment but in no time the pain returns. I have pain from sitting at my desk, standing too long, walking around my kitchen while fixing dinner really makes the pain increase. Grocery shopping is also a pain. On a daily basis I just give up and go to bed early and watch TV because I cannot get comfortable anywhere else. Even in bed I toss and turn all night because I can't stay in one position too long. I guess I'm just impatient and getting discouraged. I wish the exercises helped faster.

DDD - Broad based central disk protrusion
    Central spinal stenosis
    Facet Degenerative disease
    Nueral foraminal narrowing
    Osteophytes
  • You sound EXACTLY like me - while I'm doing the PT I feel my symptoms subside, but by the time I'm in the car my back/thighs/legs hurt again..
    and I NEVER sleep. I toss all night - the bed looks like an eggbeater has been at it all night. I can't get comfortable. Even reading your description - arthritis in the spine, foraminal narrowing - nerve blocks... amazing how many of us there are out there!

Rosa
  • I just wish there was a quick fix to our problem. I know I'm getting really scared thinking about the winter coming up and slipping on the ice. I live in Kansas and in January 07 I slipped and fell on the ice and tore my right knee menicus and had surgery April 07 to repair it and it still hurts. I think when I slipped I also twisted my back and landed on my butt hard which might have caused my back problems to get exaggerated.

Keep me posted on your progress.

Thanks for listening.

Darby
  • If and when I ever start to feel better, I'll be posting all over this site in every forum! Not sure what will do it (IF anything does it), PT, just time passing, or what. But I'll definitely keep you all posted.

Thanks for all the support and info!! Rosa
  • I can relate. I have bone spurs and bad spine in 3 areas...old injuries, surgieries that I've aggravated with falls. Weather has turned bad up here in Pacific Northwest and I am really feeling it too! :(

I try to stretch and do my own versions I call 'McKenzie Lights' as well as I can (I was taught them after surgery too) but they are just too hard on me.)

For myself, I never had a lot of luck with PT...found they pushed too hard and hurt me...just had to find my own best way of stretching..that which feels good to me. Doorways and wells work. I also like the tennis balls and rubbing tight knots/ muscles on corners. :)

Gentle hugs to all here.
  • OK mattsmom, now I'm picturing someone hanging in a well! Hey, if it works, I'll do it! But what do you mean about doorways and wells??
    Rosa
  • I nave been doing McKenzie for 7 weeks and am coming along. But the first 4 or 5 weeks were a bit of a stand still. So much so, my surgeon thought that I was one of the few that reherniate the disc. I just had the MRI. I don't the results yet. I also was getting terrible migraines during those first 4 or 5 wks. I think the migraines slowed my healing, maybe because I did not want to move. My doctor said that migraines could be a side effect from narcatics (darvocet), So I stopped the darvocet and took ibuprofen, anti-inflammatory drug) and at that time I improved. I also have been icing (4 times a day) and walking alot. The PT wants me to do the McKenzie execise, where you arch your back, often, like when I get out of the car, after I sit, every few hours. I still can't bend, lift, twist, or sit for more than 15 minutes. So I am still working on getting well.
  • I nave been doing McKenzie for 7 weeks and am coming along. But the first 4 or 5 weeks were a bit of a stand still. So much so, my surgeon thought that I was one of the few that reherniate the disc. I just had the MRI. I don't the results yet. I also was getting terrible migraines during those first 4 or 5 wks. I think the migraines slowed my healing, maybe because I did not want to move. My doctor said that migraines could be a side effect from narcatics (darvocet), So I stopped the darvocet and took ibuprofen, anti-inflammatory drug) and at that time I improved. I also have been icing (4 times a day) and walking alot. The PT wants me to do the McKenzie execise, where you arch your back, often, like when I get out of the car, after I sit, every few hours. I still can't bend, lift, twist, or sit for more than 15 minutes. So I am still working on getting well.
  • :)rosa, hi! :H i don't see any mention of nerve pain medications. could they help with your leg pain? I take Lyrica and find it a big help in my sciatica pain. you might talk to your doctor about this! :-C good luck! Jenny :)
  • I meant WALLS... I do a lot of stretches in doorways and on the walls walking my hands up the walls and on the sides and reaching for the tops and up the sides of doorways and doing breathing slow breathing excercises when I do it. and very gentle bending only. Nothing we do should hurt; it should feel good. :)

Hugs, Deb

PS Lyrica helps my pain too, agree with Jenny and you might ask your doc about a trial with this. It is a bit pricey but worth it for me. Keeps me off heavy narcotics so far.
  • Walls makes a lot more sense (but I still love the image of hanging in a well to stretch out the spine :)

I did take Lyrica for a few years before surgery - I quit when I left the house one day with a pot on a gas burner... It really affected my short term memory.

I do have an Rx for Amitriptyline (spelling?) and will probably try it.

Thanks guys for all the great input!!

I also am feeling encouraged about PT from my husband - he reminded me that when he had "frozen shoulder" syndrome, it was 5 month of PT before he felt better, but it did finally work. Not McKenzie method, but whatever!

Rosa
  • if you keep the exercises up. I have found walking,swimming & doing exercises to strengthen my body core have had a positive effect on my recovery.
    Everybody seems to heal at different speeds & ways. The tissue recovery is the easy bit, it's getting the friggin crazy nerves to settle that can be challenging and that is just a time thing.
    Keep doing the exercises, it will help in the end. :)))

Regards
    John
advertisement