Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 week post 3 level ACDF with plating

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well, Hmmm. I sit here typing this staring at the pain meds trying to dare my body not to take them. My neck where the incision is of course swollen and bruised. My leg that was paralyzed with surgery has come back, so I'm just wobbly now. The arm that I had the surgery for is better every day. My voice is F'd up and I'm on vocal rest, my larnyx was compromised with the length of surgery. I am still on a liquid diet but am slowly progressing to soft, pureed things. My throat really got the raw end of the deal. One because the surgery ended up being almost 6 hours, Two - this was the second surgery this year that involved my esophagus. I think it is flippin' me the big bird right now!
I am still wickedly tired. If I can stay awake for more than three hours at a time that is an accomplishment.
Of course I had to get the gratuitous bladder infection from the hospital catheters! We called my primary care and said we knew it was an infection please don't make me come in. So they told my hubby to come pick up a cup and then bring it back. Good people.
advertisement

Comments

• Things are improving for you. It does get better as time goes by. Sleep was the best thing for me after my last surgery. Take it easy and let your body recover.

mark
  • phxchele,

So sorry to hear you are having a difficult time. Hope you are able to get some rest and feel better soon.

Elle
  • Well, I thought I had this recovery thing all figured out. I steered clear of the pain meds and stayed up without a nap like some naughty 3 year old.
    I am paying for it. The muscle spasms started early in the evening, then I couldn't get settled down and was well beyond "uncomfortable". I didn't get much sleep last and today feel like the walking dead.
    As my husband so sweetly reminded me this morning, "You had only been home from the hospital 3 days."
  • Well I found this place with good ole Google.. I am having the same surgery on the 10th of December, I have been searching the net to learn as much as I can so I am prepared. I am hoping maybe we can message each other, I could use the support right now?
    Hope you are feeling better and more back to your ole self! *Smiles* CindySue
advertisement