Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Major Pain Radiating down legs, urinary incontinence!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
OMG!! I can't take this any more! ~X( ~X( X( Just when yo think it all is going well, there is a step or two back!

Ok, I went out Saturday with my best friend who is getting married on Nov 8th, I am her matron of honor. We went with her mom, and 2 aunts and my 7 year old daughter to go for a "trial" with her hair and veil in NH. We drove about 30 mins away from my house.
I did fine the whole time at the salon, had my crutch with me and sat most of the time and of course got up to stretch once in awhile, got air etc.
We then drove to a restaraunt for lunch, after 2-3 hours in the salon, of course we were all hungry, especially my daughter! I didn't feel that well, and thought maybe I was just hungry.
On the way home, they had to pull over for me, I thought I was going to be sick! :& Hot flashes, nausea, dizzy! I really thought I was getting car sick from just driving around, and plus I was in the backseat which I really can't do!
I got home and then on Sunday, spent all day in bed still feeing ill. No fever, just the chills galore! Temp was 96.1 highest was 97.7, so yes, I was cold! Major stomach pains so I thought I was dying!
Monday it was soooo bad that I couldn't even roll over in bed! Had my friend take me to the ER after I called the dr. They didn't want me to wait until the afternoon in case I was getting an infection. Come to find out, all is fine! Had CT scan and meds, no infection at all! Well just the start of an UTI but he said that if I drink more fluids, it will go away. He did give me a script for 3 days worth of Bactim, but I haven't filled it, really can't afford it and for 3 days, what's the point!
Well now I have urinary incontinece. Not total accidents, but leaking a lot all the time! Major pain down my legs that it seems my nerve is pinched and my legs are giving out on me! I am now walking with my walker again, and can barely even do that! I can't roll in bed without screaming in pain! X( X( ~X(
I just don't understand why I have this nerve pinching that is radiating down the legs and making my legs "give-out".
Anyone else have this kind of problem?? My husband and mom say that "this too shall pass", but is this something major?? I'm sooo scared! I do want to check with the doc, but don't want to "cry wolf" and I'm nervous that it might be something major cause I can't miss my bestfriends wedding! I can't let her down! I know that she would understand, but I just can't! I'm doing NOTHING, so I can be in her wedding!
ok, I'm done rambling off. Thanks for those who have read this long post and didn't just click it off! heehee :))(

Kim
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Kim, it sounds as if your outing has stirred up a setback. Is your surgeon aware of the incontinence? You know this can be a symptom of cauda equina syndrome and is nothing to mess around with. Granted it could be from a UTI possibly as well, but I think you should get it checked out by the surgeon. The other symptoms I would just think you have aggravated the nerves and need to rest to recover, but the urinary thing is very concerning. Please get this checked into. I am sorry you are having a complication. Please call the surgeon, rest, sleep, take your meds, and let us know how it goes. >:D< Sue
  • First of all you need to try and take a deep breath and regain some control or you will continue to spin out.

Where is the pain that is radiating down your legs located? Front? Back? Side?

You said that you didn't fill the script for the Bactim?

Have you made a follow up appointment with your GP?

"C"
  • I had incontinence for a while, sometimes really bad. It cleared up as have most of the problems. I had a 9 level fusion, 9 months ago.
  • Keecho,
    Sweetie i know all this is very disheartening and scary, but like C mentioned try to breathe in and calm down so that you can do the next right thing!!!

My suggestion is no different than anyone before me who has posted! Please call the surgeon today if you have not already! I call whenever I have a question or concern because you just don't know what it could be....

There is still plenty of time between today and your friends wedding, so call the doc and get started on settling your mind ok....

I could only imagine how your feeling about everything you mentioned...
    Please keep us posted on what happens and how your doing!
    I am sending out some prayers for you >...
    Christine
  • I'v had this problem with severe UTI's. Leaking etc.
    You really need to get that script filled. I'm not sure if they come in generic brand or not.
    Plus being out so long that day, sitting, walking you could of just aggravated your spine. But UTI"s are so painful and left untreated they can turn into other things hunny. This all from personal experience having them.
    Drink lots of water, cranberry juice etc.
    But ya really need those meds. If you don't have the money etc, call someone for it. A friend someone. Alot of pharmacutical companies have free med programs..
    Or the dr may have samples at their office.

Let us know how you make out, you should not have to suffer ontop of recovery pain sweetie.

Lots of love
    Terri :X >:D< :* O:)
  • It is sad that prescriptions cost so much. Several retail stores offer discounted prescriptions. I print out the list of available meds before I go to the doctor, usually she cand find something equivalent. Search for $4 prescriptions and you should find what I am talking about.

I found it saves me about $20 per month over my health insurance prescription card and I have good coverage.

Good luck,
    Shell

• If Bactrim doesn't come in a generic, ask your doc to write a prescription for an antibiotic that does, such as Macrobid. Meds are expensive but your health comes first.

Let us know how you're doing.
  • Bactrim does come in generic, it has been around forever practically. Do you have a wallmart? They have the $4 RX's, don't know if it includes bactrim, but might. It should be cheap cause it is an old standby like penicillin. You need more than a few days worth though, so best get a new script from the PMD. Hope you are doing better, >:D< Sue
  • I am so sorry you are having to deal with the new problems. Like everyone has said, please call your NS right now. They should have someone on call, even on Sunday. Be sure to tell them the medicine they prescribed is too expensive, and they will give you something cheaper. (Just as a sidenote, if you run into future problems with expensive prescriptions, see if there is a Costco near you -- they have cheap prescriptions like Walmart does, only with hundreds more available, and you don't have to be a member to use their pharmacy).

Please let us know how you are doing.

Hugs,
    Haylie
  • Everyone, you have been wonderful! It's funny because when I went to post this on the site, they said it was down for maintenace so I didn't even thgink it was going to post! 8}
    Well I did call the dr Thursday and they couldn't see me but I got in early Friday. They did x-rays and he said it looked good. Then he ordered me an emergency MRI! He thinks that I might have some sort of infection going on or that I have herniated something and the nerve is now damamged, and that my inflamation is really bad! :( :( :''(
    I go on Monday at 1pm for the results and to see what he wants to do now.
    I did fill the script for the Bactrim. The ER doc said that the range for a UTI level is up to 400, and I was at 419 so it was hardly even a UTI. Most drs would have passed me off for clear, not UTI. I only have 6 pills and it's for 3 days, but I'm taking them. Don't feel any different, just more pain! ~X( Oh well. Kinda getting used to it!
    I went out yesterday for my dad's canoeing place for a Pumpkin Paddle! NO! I didn't canoe so don't worry!! :D
    We had the kids bobbing for apples, face painting and pupmkin painting. Also cider and donuts! It was a huge success!! I sat near the outside firepit and took pics for my dad. It was wonderful!! Just to be out in fresh air! Loved it! It was great to see all the small children bobbing for apples and painting their pumpkins! that just made my weekend! Took over for all the pain I am in! I hated to leave, but I was sooo tired after 3 hours, that I needed to go home and sleep. That's just because of the fresh air! <:P <:P It sure was a nice party!!!

Ok, I will keep you all informed tomorrow afternoon!
    Love ya all!
    Kim >:D< >:D< >:D< :X
  • Thanks for all the advice on the pharmacies. I have them all! We didn't have even that to spend! How sad!! Now we do! Friday was payday! YAY!~ <:P
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.