Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PAINFUL Epidural

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in New Member Introductions
Yesterday morning I had my first epidural experience. The Dr. came in gave me several shots to numb the area, then gave me both injections one one each side of lower back. I have spinal stenosis due to bone spurs on facet joints. L5/S1 narrowed by 75%, L4-60%, L3- 25%.Recommendation laimenectomy and spinal fusion L3 to L5. I don't want to do surgery. I also have rheumatoid arthritis. I have pain with tingling and numbness in both legs daily. Somedays its not bad if I keep moving, active. To go from extended periods of inactivity (sitting) to activity is difficult. I am a 52 year old female who has been in retail field for 2o yr, last 12 as a manager. I'm not working now and am unsure of what I will be able to do with my back issue. Anyway the epidural PAIN from the shot was the worst. The left side was uncomfortable but the right side I was coming off the table. I KNEW I had a sciatic nerve. I was wheeled out and could not stand alone for 4 hrs. This morning the injection is sore thats o.k. but my right foot and top of my leg ? are numb. I have an appt. with my rheumatoid Dr.at 12,hope I can drive, theres always cruise control. I hope these shots help.
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry you have not been welcomed sooner but the forum has been shut down. please try and rest and use ice to help yourself the next few days. I) make yourself at home here and look around the forums. i hope you are feeling better soon and that the injections work for you. please keep us informed! Jenny :)
  • Hi Furie and welcome to this forum! I hope the epidual shots help with your pain. Are you on any medication for your pain? Like you I have terrible pain when walking with very similar spine issues. I am also waiting on my Dr. to call about injections and not looking forward to them. So it was nice to read your post. Let us know if the shots work for you. Post lots as you will find this forum quite helpful.
  • I'm glad you're trying everything first before surgery. I get my second epi on Monday and I've had some relief of sciatica. I'm off work too since February. I hope these help as well as time so we can get back to work. Take care and thanks for sharing. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I too had bad experiences with both epi injections. Interestingly enough, when I went for a discogram - which is SUPPOSED to cause pain - the doctor who was administering the test was actually surprised when I informed him of the pain the epi shots caused me! It may not be a bad idea to try I different doc if you need repeat injections. I know that I have another scheduled, and I am going to have the dr who performed my discogram do it. I'll try to let you know how it goes - as in if it's any different from the earlier shots. Good luck and I hope you feel better really soon.
  • Did the doc you a fluoroscope while performing the epidurals?

I hope that you do get some relief after the steroids have a chance to kick in.

Welcome to Spine Health! I worked in retail sales for nearly 6 years and loved it.

"C"
  • I think that you are right in trying to exhaust all options before deciding on surgery as there are no guarantees with surgery either. I also have had all of my injections done under live xray. I hope that you get some relief soon and remember ice packs 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off may really help your pain. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • I can relate to the pain of an epi injection I had caudal injection with no sedation or anything and let me tell you it was very painful and I got no relief from the pain. I hope your works better for you and welcome to SH :H
advertisement