Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Excited to be here!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello All!! I am very hopeful and excited since I found this site a few days ago. I am a 29 year old Female from Washington State. I come from a family of back, knee and joint troubles. My Grandfather had 1 hip and 1 knee replacement. My Grandmother had 2 hip replacements and 1 knee. My 3 of my Uncles have had lower back surgery and 1 Aunt. My wonderful father has degenerative bone disease and has had 1 arthroscopic kneed surgery and 3 hip replacements. Yep 3, his second total hip replacement ended up with a Staph infection and the only thing to do was a second hip replacement on that hip.

I recently found out that I have server reversed curved neck, arthritis in the right him, and DDD, but no degenerative bone disease. I have been going through a intense 3 week decompression session. I have been living in pain since I was 19. In high school I fell onto my tailbone. Little PT and everything seemed fine. At 19 I was in a MVA that was T-Boned. The chiropractor said a few adjustments and I should be fine. Said the normal routine speech "Loose weight, eat better and exercise." I even saw an arthroscopic surgeon for major knee pain, now to know it was my disc the whole time. ~X(

Well exercise was hard, walking, biking, aerobics all made my legs, back and feet go numb. Now tell me how to exercise when I am in pain. So I recently lost my Grandmother and have solely devoted my time now to me. I went and saw a wonderful chiropractor, Dr.Kurt O:) who took the time to sit and take 2 days to do a full "intake" on me. After taking numerous X-Rays we found out that I have a reversed curve in my spine right at my neck, and my right leg is a 1/4 inch shorter than my left. Well that should be an easy fix with a lift in the shoe, but then you get into my spine at L5 tilts to the right and that disc is pretty much flat.

After a few tries with Dr.Kurt O:) , he felt decompression might be a good option. Dr.Kurt was wonderful with my neck and arm pain, but the disc was out of his control. He referred me to Dr.Randy O:) , who is also a wonderful Dr. I have been seeing him 4 days a week for 20 min sessions and I will see him 5 times this week. Insurance will only pay for 20 visits, so that only leaves 3 more. And it looks like I'm going to be in the group of 20% that doesn't feel relief from the decompression.

I am still so very new to all this and feel like an A** sometimes. Now with almost 4 weeks of decompression and it's not revealing the pain ~X( , I am fearful for the word surgery to come up (and it has). I am looking into water therapy with a physical therapist and maybe massage therapy. I know someone will still order an MRI before surgery, but I'm still pretty wigged out by it.

I have found a lot of comfort in reading some of the blogs on this site. To know it's ok to feel this mad and frustrated and know that there is still hope. And to know that even if surgery is the last resort, it still might work. I've never felt like I needed a support group till now. You just don't understand unless you live with this pain.

Sorry this turned out to be a long introductions. This is the first forum board that I have join and am nervous about. It's the first place that I've felt people really care, and no one understands the frustrations, pain, anxiety, etc that people with back pain have to deal with. And after reading a lot of these stories, I know I could be a lot worse off than I am. I am excited to hear any ideas to keep me from the knife. Best of luck to everyone!! ~ Sara :O

advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to spine-health...
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you have definitely come to a place where people understand and know just how you are feeling. this is a great place to make new friends too! i am surprised you have all this diagnosis without an MRI. once you have your MRI you know exactly the direction to take in your pain program. please check out all the conservative treatments you can and give yourself time for them to work! good luck! Jenny :)
  • Hiya Sara, >:D<
    Welcome to Spine Health >:D< We understand what you are going through :? , we also understand any frustrations you may have :) . We get angry, tired , frustrated, and instead of venting it out to our families, we come here ~X( . People here understand because they are going through very much the same, just different parts of the spine :? . We can only help and advise you based on our personal experiences, as we are not medically trained and are not phycicians :) . I hope to see you around to chat :? , check out the chat room here :D .

Angie x :H
  • I have 2 more decompression sessions left next week and then I go back to Dr.Kurt to go from there. I was told today that the MRI or shots are next. So my fingers are crossed. I know I am at the beginning of my journey, but it's going to be a better journey now with all the help from the forum. THANK YOU!! :)))
  • Thanks Angie!! O:) That's why I joined this site. To vent LOL. The information on this site is so great and easy to look up. Other sites where horrible. And I'm more interested in hearing what has worked from the people who have the back problem. I've had some bad experiences with my primary Dr. I now see a naturopathic dr who actually listens to me. But bottom line, the best advise comes from someone who's gone through it. Thanks for the welcome and hope to see you in a chat room some time. :)
  • Hi, My name is glo, and I am from the Boston area. I just wanted to send you a quick note. I am also new to all of this, and I have found that all the people are very nice and informative on the chat. It is a great place to get support and some laughs. I have only been on this for 2 weeks, but I am so glad that I found it! I wish you well!!!
  • Thanks Glo!! I had been searching for days and found this site and love it. Thanks for the welcom!! :)))
  • I totally agree with you in trying all conservative treatment before considering surgery. As it looks like you may already know, there are no guarantees with surgery. One thing that I would like to add from my own personal experience is please be careful of the chiropractors. I saw 2 different ones in the beginning and they actually made my condition worse. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • I agree with you about the chiropractors. That is what got me into this mess in the first place. I was told 8 years ago (or so) that it was just a sore back and it should go away in a few days. But Dr.Kurt is the most wonderful Dr. I wish I could give more info about him. He is being very gentle and going very slow with me. He has even seen me a few times free of charge cause he is worried about me. He also referred me to a wonderful naturalist to help with some hormone issues. He has been nothing but wonderful. We live in a small city, that is growing quickly, but we still are very small town. Thanks and I try acupuncture in a few weeks. This site has calmed me down about the surgery and gives me hope!! I see Dr.Kurt tomorrow to see where we go next. I'll keep everyone posted!! :D
advertisement