I met with my surgeon for the first time yesterday. We went over my MRI, xrays and discogram result. It is his conclusion that the only surgery that could be done would be a three level fusion L3 to S1 and that he would only do the surgery if I was in so much pain I couldnt move.
It sounds like this is a common response to us with severe pain from DDD. I was just wondering how people cope with this type of news and pain. I am still able to work part time and sleep fairly well, but have not yet been able to do any pt that doesnt hurt me. I am currently on extended release morphin and flexeril.
The surgeon is setting up an appointment with his PT guy and feels that there are ways that will slowly start to help me. He has also ordered a special back brace to releive strain on my discs. Part of me is releived because surgery scares me so much, and I'm encouraged about the possibility of the possibility of getting in shape and feeling beter than I have in years. But......still in pain and not sure what the furture holds for me.
I would be grateful if others would share their story and/or have any input.