Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need Help to Stay Positive

jayceyjjaycey Posts: 31
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Spinal Injections
I found this site almost a year ago and last December when I had spinal decompression surgery it really helped me get through all the trauma.

Eleven months out of surgery and I am still in pain. The surgery was for the right side and now in addition to right side sciatica, I am now having left side pain. I saw my surgeon last week and he now wants to try a caudal injection. Since the nerve on the right side has never really settled after the surgery, he thinks an injection might help.

I am SO discouraged and SO scared. If the injection does not work - my only option is fusion. I know I need to be positive and keep on doing the things that will help my spine to strengthen. But this is such a bit set back. I just can't help but wonder if I will ever be pain free again.

My injection is scheduled for 30 October. I have read almost every post on this forum regarding the procedure as well as all the articles- so I think I know what to expect. Please send your positive vibes on the day. I just want things to get better.

Thanks for listening, jaycey
advertisement

Comments

• You hang in there. You cannot think so far ahead to whether your going to be pain free in the future. Back surgeries and treatments are very tricky and sometimes it like playing a poker game with your body.
    You have to think for the day and not whats down the road.

As you can see Iv been through more then my share and I am about to go through a HUGE MAJOR operation.
    I was scared at first, but realized what do I have to loose???
    I will loose alot if I do not go through with it. I mean a REAL LOT.

So just take day by day. Get into pain managment for mabye a long acting med for your pain. And well if this injection does not work (which I hope it does) then go from there.

I know fusion sounds scary. And well it kinda is. BUT you do not know what it will bring until its done. There are so many sucess stories out there.
    There are so many ppl from the old fourms that are back to their normal life after surgery they did not join this new one. Or they pop in from time to time.

So stay STRONG. Think about today, not tomorrow and go from there.

We are here to support you in any way we can!!!! >:D< >:D< >:D< O:) O:) O:) O:) O:)
  • I had a caudal 2 weeks ago and it's helping the leg pain. Hope it works for you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • positive vibes your way. we will be thinking of you on the 30th. Good luck to you.
  • Good luck with your injection...
  • Thanks everyone for replying on this. I know I need to take it one day at a time - good advise Terri. It does help to hang out here and read other success stories.

Terri - wishing you all the best. I have been following your threads and know you are facing a big journey. Keep us updated.

Thanks again
  • Welcome back to Spine Health >:D< Jaycey you need to take one day at a time, dont think to far ahead :) .You need to stay strong, and remember we are here for you to help you through this turbulant time >:D< .Keep Posting!

Angie x
  • I am new here, but have read about you and others. I just wanted to share with you as well to keep thinking only one day at a time. That is how I am right now. I wish you the very best and will be watching to here how you did one Oct. 30.
  • Hi Charry,

Can you tell me how you felt after your injection? Were you wasted or was walking out of the hospital a problem at all? How long before you could get back to doing normal stuff? My doc says I can get back to normal the next day. Does this sound right? I know the pain will still be there for awhile at least. Just wondered if you were limited just after your epi.

Thanks, jaycey
  • I walked out of there somewhat left foot a bit numb. Otherwise I'm still off work since February. These injections have helped sciatica a great deal but not the backpain. I excercised on my recumbent stationary bike today. I took a day off yesterday after the epi. for excercise. Other than that I never go out. My back is too sore. Second opinion from ortho on January 22. I found the first injection sorer a little then the second but mostly just feel pressure. I even take a perc, sedative 1 hour before going to get injections. Even 20% relief is good even for a short while. My third epi is in 2 weeks. Let us know how it goes for you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks for your input Charry. Everyone here has really helped me to approach this more positively. I really think it might work.

I agree with Charry's point - injections are mainly aimed at getting rid of the leg pain. I am hoping for even minimal relief!

My GP gave me a valium to take before I go. It worked when I had surgery - just to control the nerves. So I will be popping the pill at 5.30AM and on the hospital doorstep at 7.30AM tomorrow. Thanks everyone for all your support. Jaycey
  • Thanks to everyone for all their positive input and any vibes you sent my way today. All done with my injection. My surgeon put me out so I did not feel a thing. Legs were quite wobbly for about two hours after - but overall went will. Too early to say if it helped but for now I am glad it is over.

Thanks for listening, jaycey
  • and this does good things for your pain and you won't need a fusion. :)

I have injections that worked well for me.

Hugs, Deb
  • you lots of hugs and prayers that this works for you!
advertisement