Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back Pain after 2nd Microdiscectomy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 5 weeks postop from my 2nd Micro-D at L5-S1 in less than six months. This time around, the neurosurgeon had to do a foraminotomy as well as a laminectomy. I am currently experiencing a great deal of lower back pain particularly on the left side (where the herniation was) and cannot stand straight up as I have a left sided tilt. I asked my neuro about this and he said it is probably inflammation in the muscles due to having two surgeries within a four month period and he prescribed four weeks PT. Is this normal? I would appreciate any feedback from those who have had multiple surgeries. I had very little actual back pain before the last surgery, all of my pain was in my left leg and glute before.
advertisement

Comments

• I saw lots of other patients in my docs office that had just had microD and every one of them were bent over and not able to straighten up just like me. My doc said that it is the facet joints that cause this. It is the mechanics of your back after having part of a disc removed everything has to realign in your spine. I believe that it was my facet joints keeping me hunched over because I also have facet arthritis and go through this even when I did not just have surgery. You probably have lots of inflamed and aggravated nerves and muscles having 2 surgeries so close together. Be patient, you still have lots of healing to do. Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.
  • Although I only had one surgery at L5-S1, I did have lots of edema, inflammation and swelling. Even at 5 weeks out I was in a ton of pain. I failed to do my PT.

What finally put me out of my misery so to speak, was the ESI nerve block. The doc injected and I felt the medicine saturate the inflamed nerve. It stung like crazy and 4 more days went by with no change.
    Then suddenly on the 5th day the pain started going away quickly. By the 7th, I was pain-free.

Maybe try an ESI. ?
    Ice religiously.

Let us know how things progress. Best wishes.

-----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008