Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Autograft question

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am so frustrated! I notified my MD today that I prefer to have an autograft from my iliac crest; however, he is really trying to get me to accept an allograft from a donor. I am having a two-level fusion on Thursday. He says it is my choice. For personal reasons, I would prefer to use my own bone. As an RN, he is trying to make me see the 'scientific' reasons for having an allograft, but my gut is telling me not to... how can I explain this to him?

Elle
advertisement

Comments

• You do not have to explain your reasons why. Intuition is important although many cast it aside. Remember that he is serving you, not the other way around. You are paying him to provide you with the best posible care. You are a fully conscious being capable of making decisions regarding your health. He should listen to your requests and meet them if possible.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • hey elle37

i am an RN too and when it comes to my family care or self care i become mom, sister, daughter or just plain scared!! i forget being an RN at those times . . . .

i think we as RN's just know too much when it comes to the medical field our self care.
  • ...from my left iliac crest b/c my NS said it's the "gold standard"...had a lot of lingering post-op pain from that site, but he did go in thru the same incision, so it got better over time.

I also wanted only my own bone, so the price to pay (the pain from the marrow punch) was worth it to me. At 10 months, I'm fusing well, don't have any worries about who or what my bone came from & I think, as others have said, it should be YOUR decision. It's YOUR body!

And on a positive note: once my marrow punch site stopped hurting, it never hurt again!:)

~Lakeside
  • Hi Elle...everyone has said it but I will reinforce it anyway...it's your right to choose - you are the patient/customer/client.

As you know, it can hurt a bit (autograft) but it does seem the gold standard. I used autograft and it did hurt a bit afterwards but nothing like the main fusion surgery. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Take care and all the best... Bruce
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

advertisement