Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF C6-C7 Nov 6th - Surgical Consult this AM - overwhelming

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had my surgical consult this am. It was eye opening for me. I was told I am to be off work for 6 weeks, no exceptions. That is the time "they start with", which is scary that it could be longer. They will be using a titanium plate with 3 screws. I cannot drive for six weeks. I asked the nurse about what the Dr. said about driving (possibly two weeks if you're comfortable) and she adamantly advised against it as it's very dangerous as I'd be putting myself at risk and more importantly, my son (6)).

She said it's possible the Dr. may have to fix other things once he opens me up. So to say an exact amount of time, I cannot do that.

I will be in the hard cervical collar for 6 weeks. I can't take it off under any circumstances. Shower/sleep/eat/everything.......I will be in the hospital for possibly two nights (again depends on a lot).

All this was almost overwhelming as my surgery date gets closer on the other hand, at least I will know what's going to happen and in what order. They are SO GOOD at this hospital - they explain everything and are very thorough. I was amazed!

Day 4 of no smoking and going well and she was perfecly fine with me being on the Chantix as well as the nitocine patch (which will come off next Wed. night).

advertisement

Comments

• cindylouwho

that sound pretty typical from what i have read around this site. i had posterior c1 c2 sept 9 and i have been in this hard collar ever since. i have been off work since May.

u will get through it. we are all here to help.

it's the fusion that i worry about the most. i had signs of it at five weeks. everyone is different and heals differently remember. good luck and keep us posted.
  • I understand why they won't let you drive for the 6 weeks. There is no safe way to drive in a cervical collar as you have NO range of motion while wearing one. I didn't wear one after either one of my surgeries, luckily, and had to drive myself to my surgeon's office after only 10 days the first time. It was not pleasant as his office was an hour and a half away.

I'm glad that you have a surgical team that explained everything to you. It's better to know in advance than be suprised later. It's overwhelming but after it's all over you're going to feel so much better. Just keep that in mind when you start to panic, okay?

Good luck!

Griff
  • 6 weeks may seem like a long time...but I'm finding out...I need that time to heal. I'm a week out from a double (c4-c6) and I'm feeling very worn down. I feel like I've slept for 2 days straight. Trust me....you'll need it. That cervical collar thing is a pain...there is absolutely no comfortable way to sleep in one of those except in a recliner so have a comfy one and use lots of pillows. And if you don't already...get a subscription to Netflix.
  • i found that my feather pillow became my best friend at night time. i could mold it to fit around my miami j collar. worked great for me. still does.
advertisement