Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Mattress for back problems

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Sleep Problems
I just wanted to share my find on a good mattress for my back. I had back surgery years ago and subsequently annoying back muscle spasms at night, which I believe were worsened by my too soft, pillow-top mattress. (mattress was ok for the first two years, but then started to sag)

I have purchased a new mattress that I think has really made a difference. I found a firm silver King Koil from Sleepy's, which I was able to negotiate to half of the price (about $500, mattress only). I know there are comparable brands, but make sure it is firm and well constructed like this one.

Then I added soft padding to the top - an egg foam memory mattress topper from Bed, Bath (this was $35), and a Charter Club visco pad ($100 on sale) and thick cotton mattress pad from Macy's (this was about $50 I think). I know. Sounds excessive but I am seriously happy.

I think this solution is the best - I have good support but a soft top. And unlike the attached pillow top, I can replace the foam memory crates in a few years without buying a whole new mattress.

I hope this helps! I looked a lot through these forums to help me figure out a good solution, and I know mattress buying can be incredibly stressful.... you feel like you are being scammed the whole time. so good luck!
advertisement

Comments

• hi all
    i too have spent a small fortune on ..mattresses we have a top of the range TEMPUR ..we both found it too hard{my wife has a good back} so we purchased a VELDA electrically adjustable twin bed with a high quality pocket sprung and memory foam combination mattress.we got the bed from SLEEPMASTERS .its a VELDA but it has a sleepmasters logo on it {if we would have purchased the VELDA from VELDA it would have cost about 3 thousand pounds!!.from SLEEPMASTERS it cost less than 1800 pounds i can highly recommend it ..on the pillows i have a TEMPUR millenium queen pillow ..its an expensive pillow but nothing can touch it on the comfort side.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,715
    Sleep, Mattress and more

I have a Select comfort bed with two air bladders. This allows me to soften or harden the mattress (my side only) depending on how I am feeling
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I had to go the economical route for now because posterpedic mattresses are very expensive. I may get one next year, but the set up I have is working fine. I bought an 8 inch memory foam mattress topper and topped it off with a down feather topper from Bed Bath and Beyond. The foam topper was $226 and the down feather was $100. The down feather is really good and it always reinflates and feels great. I needed to have something a little firm but also had to add softness like the down feathers bring. So if you don't have $1000 to spend, this has worked for me. It pays to be creative (|:
  • is what I have. I tell you when I first bought it, all I wanted to do was lie down in it. And it's not hot at all after lying in it for prolonged periods (my husband was worried it would make him sweat during the night. I told him the ad promised that wouldn't happen - besides, that is MY job not the mattress's!)

NOW, I think I've become too accustomed to it (can you build up tolerance to mattresses like you do medication? hmm :? ) That down mattress topper sounds like just the ticket. Thanks for that idea. Hope you don't mind if I tell my husband it was my idea..

Jeaux
  • I don't mind, not at all ;)
advertisement