Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fibromyalgia

backpainishellbbackpainishell Posts: 970
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Fibromyalgia
Can anyone tell me how they cope with flare ups of fibro ? :(

Angie :''(
advertisement

Comments

• I don't have fibro but hope you find some relief soon.
    Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I do make sure I get plenty of rest and try not to do more b/c it only ends up being worse. (I am fairly new to this and have had more of a continuous flare up than not!)

I stretch my muscles out more. I try not to do things that I know aggravate it (which is very difficult at work). I use my tennis ball on really tight areas or rolling pin. Sometimes I cry, sometimes I just try and have fun. I let the housework go at this time b/c it's going to be there no matter what. but I pay attention to MY needs first when I feel miserable!
  • I'm blaming it on the weather changing.

I try to get enough sleep, eat right, not overdo, etc. To keep my fibro at bay. Lyrica helps the pain of my fibro.

How I cope is give myself permission to be 'down and out awhile; when I need to be; stop being superwoman when I'm flaring,,,just rest, let your family pitch in.
  • Not much you can do till it subsides.
    Alot of heat/ warm baths or showers.
    REST REST REST.
    Try to stay away from foods with sugar and gluten in them.
    Caffine is huge in staying away from if your in a huge flare.

Otherwise just meds, which I know they took alot away from your pending a diagnosis of your other symptoms.

Just sending you some cyber hugs sweetie. >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Is all i have done is sleep, but when i wake the pain is still there, is sleeping a symtom? I mean is it normal? even when i sleep i still feel tired. The pain is just ridiculous
  • >:D< >:D< did they do the 18 tenderpoint check on ya???? i have 15 out of the 18 tenderspots associated with fibro.
    neck/shoulders/inbetween shoulderblades/hips/knees/ankles etc????

yes sleep sleep sleep is all part of it. it like feeling like you have the flu without all the symptoms..

>:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Hiya Terri,
    I had something like that done a while back, but when i asked what they was doing they just said a check-up. I scored 14 shoulder blade/hips/elbows/knees/ankles/neck/shoulder this is what i was told this week, so ive been going crazy in pain, and they kept this from me. I was trying to think when all this first started , and i havnt felt right since i had the discs removed back in 2003. The spasms that i get , ive been having for about 2 years now .

Angie x
  • Is there such a thing as coping with fibro? So far, I haven't found anything to make me feel better... I'm so ticked off that THIS has attacked me after suffering with the back injury and all that goes with it for eleven years. I can't find a good position to get comfortable when I'm really hurting. I know I've mentioned the chest pain before, but that seems to be the thing that gives me the most trouble. It causes me to feel so tired (or I already feel tired and it adds to it), it makes breathing uncomfortable, sitting comfortably... the list goes on. Standing in the shower, letting the hot water spray onto my chest seems to give me a bit of relief for a brief time. Not enough and not for LONG enough.
    The time that I feel cruddy far outweighs the time that I don't so I take full advantage of the time that I feel decent. Not GOOD, just decent. I clean my house and get all the laundry caught up, cook the meals all day (I've got to a point that I hardly cook and I don't even like to cook any more), spend a little time with my family. Today... OMG! The rug has been pulled out from under me. How do you explain that to your family that doesn't understand what's going on with you to begin with? Yesterday I was able to do things, why not today? It's like a joke, kinda. Not a funny one though.
    I guess we just have to ban together, share our tips, and be here for each other to listen when we need to vent. Thanks to all me cyber friends! Have a good day!!
  • My rib and chest pains have gotten bad since this spring when i fell down icy steps. its horrid!

I also tend to overdo on my 'good' days and then regret it, cuz I aggravate my old injuries. Its rough. My warm water helps too and my heating pad is my best friend.

I am so fatigued these days and some days just the thought of doing anything is so trying.

I am facing a hysterectomy soon and scared...am I strong enough for this? How am i going to get recovered when i feel so weak/tired already now? I am getting scared. :(

PM anytime and we can email too if anyone wants to as well...helps to have email buddies just to VENT to someone who understands.
  • Trater,

You're doing too much on those "good days". I've been where you are on more than one occasion. But, I've learned that I need to give myself permission to slow down. Don't do too much during your good days and pace yourself.
  • You know we all do it :O , a good day its such a relief when you get one #:S , you want to do all those jobs that others have tried to do for you ~X( , but havnt done it your way ~X( . I agree with you we do have to pace ourselves :) , but its difficult to do that when you get a good day >:D<

Angie x :H
  • but then I pay DEARLY for it, so I have learned to try not to go too fast. I just do what I can. But I am in the same boat...just feeling frustrated that I, too, am in so much pain and so tired, especially the last few days. It just seems so relentless. I have tried to tell my boss that certain things she is making me do is making me feel worse, and in fact I told her if she keeps making me do so much that I was going to call off today. She looked at me like I was completely nuts, but she doesn't quite get it.

Today I was home from work (I posted earlier about the tendinitis in my foot) b/c of my feet killing me and all I did was sleep till I went to the dr. I fell asleep after the dr. too. I am sure some of that was being up half the night in utter agony b/c of the pain in my feet.

I am rambling, but I feel all of your pain, (pardon the pun, not meant to be one). I wish there was a better way to cope besides the obvious...rest, stretches, sleep.

It's taking a toll on my lately. My boss told me today that I have to do something about getting better so I can work. However, in reality I've missed 4 days in 5 months due to fibro and I don't really think that's that bad. It just made me feel upset b/c I don't think she understands that I can do all the things in the world to manage it but overdoing it is NEVER going to help me no matter what.

I am seeing that I am going to have to go through the process of going on disability b/c of this b/c this job isn't something i can handle. I haven't found something that I am qualified to do either.
  • Just wondering, how you are! >:D< You dont need to be stressed at work >:D< , as stress can make your pain worse ~X( .My Heart goes out to you :S Anyway, i was just wondering if you did give up ur job? :?

Angie :H
  • Thanks for asking. I have been put off work for at least two weeks. The foot dr. put me in a cast on my right foot, so needless to say that's a little hard to work in! (Not to mention if something fell on my foot, it would hurt!)

I haven't exactly filed for disability yet, but now that I've been home for more than a week, most of my pain is gone. Because I have been sitting so much I have the CMP "lumps" on my legs and some on my arms. My back has been killing me too b/c I have to bend over and that hurts!

Feet KILL today for some reason. They were kind of better the last couple of days and then they started hurting.

Don't know what to do about my job yet. I can't really quit b/c I need the income and the insurance. If I do an office job, I might be able to handle it better than something as physical as retail.
  • Thats good that you are at home :) . If i were you i would file for disability :? . The stress could have been adding to your pain ~X( . My doctor said he does not want me stressed :S , i was just wondering if the same applied to you! :?

Angie >:D<
  • I do think that the physical nature of my job is contributing to the pain more. I've been looking at the job ads for sit down jobs..b/c I MIGHT be able to handle it better but I am not sure. My rheumy has a note I wrote him about the pain I am in while I am working, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet about it. I am going to call in the morning b/c I want to know what's up. I do have an appt. on Dec. 9 to see him so I am going to take the plunge and see what he has to say.

I do still get some pain in my arms and shoulders even with just sitting pretty much but most of it is gone compared to what I feel when I am at work. There are times at work I don't hurt much but those are days where I just order and it's slow. The busy days are what kills me but I can't base coming to work on that, of course!

I really hope I can do some work even if it were at home some and some at an office b/c I can't stand the thought of losing the social network from work and I would be soooo bored. I've only been home a week, and I am climbing the walls.
  • I had no choice but to give up my work :( Its was awful :''( But by back gave way on me when i was walking down the stairs :S It took my daughter and my friend, to carry back up stairs and lay me down on the bad :''( OMG the pain was so bad :''( , anyway they called the doctor he came out and gave me injection of morphine and diazapan @) , he said the strong doses were because he wanted me to totally rest up a couple of days I) , give my back chance to settle down :SS He gave me a sick note and told my daughter that i was to give up work :( , and asked her to talk to me and write out my notice :( . That was over two years ago now :| To be honest with you as much as i loved my work :D the way my back can be at times :( , now i no that i wont ever put my back at risk ever again #:S I fight with this pain every single day now, and i get so tired :''( I used to have good days and bad days :''( , but now every day is a bad one as far as the pain goes :''( . You have to keep smiling and keep on moving, and never give up :) . Keep posting! >:D<

• I can totally see how back pain can make you nuts! I have severe DDD in my lower back and arthritis, and I am so young yet!

So what do you do to keep busy? IF I could do enough to keep busy, I could probably make it but I am scared to some extent b/c I am not sure I could stand to be home so much.
  • At the moment my back pain is taking is taking up alot of time and energy #:S . I am constanly fighting with it :''( , but cant get it under control :( . I do take my dog 2 walks a day but they are only short ones, to the park that is over the road from where i live :D . Next week on 28th im having facet joint injections, i do hope they work :? . I also have DDD and arthritus in my arms and right knee :S . All the pain exhausts me I) . My relationship with my fiance is suffering at the moment :? , but i havnt got the energy to hold things together :''( .

• I have a number of illnesses and have been turned down twice for disability. I am in the process of a reconsideration. this will be a third time. my fibro flares has been major the last few days and also have a virus that is going around here. how is everyone doing? Sue Brown :&
  • Hiya >:D:D< What illnesses do you have? :? Do you take any medication? :? Where are you from? OMG this sounds like the third degree lol Check out the chat room on here sometime :) Will look forward to a chat :H

Angie :) :H
  • I think I saw an ad for ideas on filing for disability when you have fibro... You might try searching on the internet for it.
    Have a good day!
  • :jawdrop:
    There isn't a lot I have found that I can do to "cope" with my flare-ups! Sleep helps IF I can get to sleep...but problem is...I can never stay asleep. I take sleeping pills, medications for restless leg syndrome, muscle relaxers and narcotics, but they ALL just take the edge off.

I have found that Fibro is definitely weather related and stress related. The worst time being between fall and winter changes, besides when it is rainy. I now know I have had Fibro since 1995 after a back injury. However, it didn't flare it's ugly head to the fullest until after my hysterectomy in 2004! That's not uncommon either (to be diagnosed after a traumatic event or surgical procedure). I am getting ready to visit a chiropractor who specializes in Fibromyalgia. I have heard through many sources that it all begins in the cranial nerves. That is why a lot of times after ,say, a car accident when the head is jerked or after a surgery, when the head is kept in a hyperextended position while intubated, that fibro symptoms begin. Some days, like many of you, I could just crawl into a cave and hope to die to get rid of the pain. I have a Type A personality sometimes and think I NEED to do everything. It is tough to prioritize what can wait and what needs to be done. Thank goodness, my husband is generally understanding and he helsp by doing most of the household chores. Thanks for listening.
  • hiya >:D< Welcome to Spine Health :D We are also here for you :) we understand your pain and frustrations that you go through :? I do think is so nice you have the support of your husband :) Anytime you need to vent away from the real world just come here, and we will listen and support you :) I hope you find this site helpful its full of information, help and advice :) Check out the chat room here :) Hope to see you around :)

• Well I was denied for the third time.I got a thing fromSSA today and have requested a hearing in front of administrive law judge. they will send me the date 20 days prior to the court date.
    On Christmas Eve I was putting some gifts under the tree and all of a sudden our video and dvd shelf decides to fall on me.It broke the bottom of the tree. It hurt my arm. I was already hurting like an 8 1/2 out of 10. than I was trying to do the turkey and was on my feet for 15 mins.and the whole side of right thigh went numb. oh well how was your christmas? Wanda :''( :''(
  • Hiya, >:D<
    I just hurt all over im in pain more and more, my back just keeps giving way on me, im so tired. Got to see the ortho surgeon the 27th of this month. Somthing is not right inside my back i can feel it. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL =D> <:P

• I was just reading this thread for a friend who has fibromyalgia. There's an official site for 'claiming Disability Allowance' on the web. It was written recently, by a solicitor and a 'sufferer' (who's also written a book!). It contains excellent advice on how to fill in those ridiculously long forms and pretty much guarantees you'll get the full allowance. It goes through the form question by question too and also covers how to fill in renewal forms.

If you want to PM me, I'll happily give you the web address!

Bye, Val (UK)
  • Hiya >:D< , That may be helpful :? , could you send me the link please :D

• Hi Angie,

I think it might be against forum rules to post it, so I'll send it to you via PM. It's incredibly useful!

• >:D< Thankyou very much for that information that site helps alot in many ways :D

advertisement