Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Update, please exscuse drug induced misspellings

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Ok they nhad to build a ladder in my neck from c4 to c7 before they were done and thank God for the PA, who used to fix hair, she kept them from cutting off my hair. She just thinned it out and left the length...lol. The pain is honestly a 10 sometimes a 15 and no I am not joking. Other than women Gods greatest creation has to be ice. I am on 10/500 x2 Lortab every 4 hours and also 5mg oxyconten every 2 they said if I absolutely had to I could take 10mg every 2hrs. Sometimes they worl and sometimes they are like taking pez candy so it is really hit and miss. When it misses I do scream and I mean leterally, it does hurt as bad as peeps say it does, maybe worse...BUT I am alive, my hands and feet are working I am walking a little at a time because the burning across my shoulder blades from the weight of the skull and the graqvity pull will only allow so much walking but I am moving. I made it through today and I will make it through tomorrow with less symptoms hopefully. I will get better, there is way too much stuff left to do with this life and I am far from giving in even though I have felt like it. I am also on robaxin 1000mg 4 times a day. vincomyecin(Antibiotic), stool softeners, magnesium citrate (God's 3rd best creation lmao), lots of water, I was already drinking 96 ozs or better but he bumped me up to 120 per day. there is a massive amount of swelling to the outside I suppose that is the bmp they put in. I have to live in recliner again, although to be honest it is not as bad this time lying down on bed as last time...go figure, recliner is just easier. I took shower today, that was an ordeal but it got done. The burning is probably the worst where they moved nerves around. I have 23 staples in neck and had 6 in skull where they screwed the noggin down to hold it while they operated. In the waiting area there were so many peeps who were scared, as I was, they were going in for front plates and I was trying to reassure them they would be ok, I hope it helped. So far I am happy, not about the pain but happy nonetheless. Wonder when they will invent pain free surgery? wouldn't that be a hoot? As long as I am on meds without being late 5 or 10 minutes I am fine. Again for those of you fixing to go through this PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ICE PACKS WAITING ON YOU WHEN YOU GET HOME!!!! THEY WILL BE YOUR NEW BFF'S. The day shift nurses were weird about getting meds to you ontime but the night shift was just the opposite. Doc told me to not lay there and hurt that he had writtena whole list of crap I could have to get pain under control ANYTIME i asked for it. He said there was no reason to hurt. After surgery they had me on dilauded which made me feel like I was walking on my hair folicles and I didn't like that so I opted to stay away from it, I think it helped with the constipation factor also. I will tough it out with the pills. I know I will be seing pain management after this ordeal but you know I realize now that that is ok because I need to heal and who cares what anyone else thinks so I will deal with it when it comes up. I know it will be hard but it is just anohter hurdle on this journey I happen to be on for whatever reason. Thanks to everyone for advice and support. I am going to hang around for awhile and not dissapear on thise of you fixing to go through it. It may or may not help but I can give you advice that I have, hopefully it will help. Well I am alive and it is med time again and we are just waiting to see what happens. :jawdrop: 8> =P~ :''(
advertisement

Comments

• Hope you're feeling better soon and wish you a speedy recovery. Take care Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • hey mabvn

glad to see u r home. i was waiting to see a post from u. u know i went through posterior c1 2c sept 9. i told u it would be a tough recovery. but see . . . . u did it . . ..and u will continue to heal everyday.

i must say i was hopeless and helpless after surgery. i am now eight weeks post op and i feel like every couple of weeks i get a bit of my life back.

i can drive now and do a bit more re activity. u will too.

remember to wear that collar . . .lol . . i am in mine until dec 4. three months total.

awesome!! keep posting.
  • mabvn
    I am having that same surgery Wed. Nov.5. I also had the ACDF surgery last Nov. From everything I have read the posterior is the worse. Other than a sore throat and a little incision pain the ACDF was not that bad. I have cord compression so the posterior fusion is a must. Keep us all posted on how your doing. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Pam
  • Glad to hear you are recovering, and your positive outlook is inspiring. I mean that sincerely. Surgery is such an uphill battle, but you will heal a little bit every day. Keep on keeping on.

Maggie
  • So glad you got this step behind you! You sound really strong and positive! Take it easy, and keep us posted on your progress. Looking forward to learning from your experience! ---Mazy
  • Glad you are home and on the other side of the hill now! Rest up and heal up!

"C"
  • HOME!!! whoo hoo you did it, got through and now on your very long road ahead.
    you sound up beat postive about the outcome.
    AWESOME MAN!!! =D> =D> B) B) B)

keep us up to date on your progess, it will help you to post and will help others reading going through the same surgery!!!

hope you have a restful weekend. I) I) I) I)
    and whew 20mg of lortab at a time i'd be singing 8} 8} =)) <:P glad your pain is under control!!!
advertisement