Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

who is getting the new Mallinckrodt generic Oxy ER?

JWMJJWM Posts: 291
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Pain Medications
For the sake of making the info abundant, is anyone getting the new Mallinckrodt generic Oxycodone ER (for Oxycontin) at any of their approved strengths (10/20/40/80), and would you mind posting basic info as to which pharmacy you found it available through, and basic pricing info? This can be private info, so only share if you feel comfortable.

Some members could really benefit from the cheaper, new generic, and I hope that someone is able to share some basic info. Pricing info is only really worth mentioning if you are paying cash or cash with a discount card. If you have insurance with a co-pay, lucky you =) I asked while at my pharmacy the other day, they are very open with me, and the pharmacists actually had no clue it even existed, and could not order it, due to the fact that they use only one supplier. (this supplier only sells 2 year old Deva generic oxy and it is EXPENSIVE). I'm hoping we can save someone some money! Also if you like/dislike it versus name brand or other, please note as well.

Thanks in advance,

JWM
advertisement

Comments

• But my bottle says DAVA. I dont have time to write right now, I am heading out...but I havent really noticed much of a difference. The full price was about 250$ I think.

Feel free to ask any questions though about it.

Alina
  • Ahh bummer the Dava generic is still part of the old stockpile. Dava generic is no longer manufactured, those are actually old pills. The new Mallinkcrodt has been available in all strengths since Oct 1st, however most of the big chain pharmacies use the same suppliers and as such all only have Dava. The reason I ask is this:

1 1/2 years ago I paid $124 CASH with only a minor discount card for 60 x 40mg oxycodone ER.

Today, pharmacies are charging almost $250 for 90 20mg oxycodone ER. Yep, that's well over *twice* as much money, just for generics, for no good reason.

I'm really hoping that someone finds the new mallinckrodt generic somewhere, maybe it'll be a family owned pharmacy, I don't know, but hopefully at a deeply discounted price. As it stands, the generic is only a few dollars less than the name brand. (240 vs 295, etc; it's ridiculous, and nowhere near the 'normal' pricing of a year or two ago)
  • I've been getting the OC for about 5 months now and every month I would get the name brand. This is the first month that I got the generic. I doubt they would now sell the old stock rather than to the months prior. Same dosage too.

I am sure you will pull up all the proof out there that there is no way possible I could be getting it.

It is what it is. Even when I told my PM about the generic this month she was shocked...she didnt even know that ANY sort of generic was coming out at all. As far as she knew they were all pulled and no further notice has been given to their clinic. So she was happy to hear that I was getting generic. My next fill is on the 21st so we'll see which I will be blessed with this time around.

I am, however, hoping that the ER version of Hydrocodone will be hitting the market soon. And maybe at a more affordable price.
    My husband just lost his job and we have been left with nothing. No insurance and no income with NO NOTICE either.

So we are going from a comfy middle class living...to making appointments to SS next week. This has been quite the shock and I just hope this doesnt kill me too much with the whole insurance thing.
    My biggest fear is that I will be labeled with a pre-existing condition and screwed going forward.

Anyway - that was way too much info than you asked for...but there it is.

Hope someone else can give you some better insight on the other generic out there.

Alina
  • sorry about your life change; try not to make it permanent, it's not fun, trust me.

The Dava's were discontinued over a year ago with all the rest of the other generics. You are still getting them as all of the stockpiled generics are still allowed to be sold until they are gone. The new generic is by Mallinckrodt, and would likely have their simple trademark 'M' on it, or the M with a square around it. Davas are OLD. Well, at least 14 months or so minimum; I'd rather have a pill a couple months old wouldn't you? Ask your pharmacist what the mfg date is on the bottle, you'll see.

Anyhow, I posted all the proof/articles/etc about the new generic in another post, I'm not putting it in here again, but it's out there as of the end of September. When the Davas are gone, your pharmacy should start buying the new generics; hopefully when somebody gets them they will post pricing info in here. It seems that there is a delay of a few months from when the doctors have a clue the drug exists, to when we can actually get it. Oh well, it's just pain =P
  • Maybe I'll ask the pharmacy then. However...it just doesnt seem right to me that they would use the brand name for months and then now use the old ones? Do you think they ordered the old ones from somewhere?

Who knows. I'll be curious to see what I get this time around. If it the name brand then they were probably just using me to clear out old stock that maybe someone found.

Alina
  • more mostly useless info.. one major pharmacy is now OUT nationwide of the old/Dava generic, and CANNOT order the new generic. However, I checked with an old pharmacist acquaintance at a mom/pop shop that only has 10 stores, and the new generic is available for them. The downside? If you're paying cash, its only 20-40 bucks less than brand (i.e. EXPENSIVE). I guess that's all I needed to know; hopefully it turns up at a larger chain at a lower cost; who knows. I hoped to find that this would help people with tight cash flow, but it seems the royalties being payed to purdue are making the cost to pharmacies rediculously high. Money motivates..
  • I just filled an Rx of Mallinckrodt (not ER though) at Costco; I have an Rx plan so I had a co-pay but would be happy to find out. Not sure why, but I find them more effective than the same dose Endocet, and they have a unique oval shape (I have gotten my Watson 932 mixed up with generic tizanidine because of that). For those that don't know this secret: Costco has most Rx drugs about 25-30% less than chains like CVS or Walgreens and you do not have to have a membership card to use their pharmacy - its worth checking their price for anybody who pays out of pocket!
  • Thanks for that; I hadn't checked Costco just becuase of how hard everyone has locked down on phone info for schedule II meds, and I don't know anyone there. I'm really, really happy the Mallinckrodt's are working well for you, I know from experience the Deva generics are not so hot, compared to the standard/brand name. It's a step in the right direction; thanks optimist. Just keep in mind, this generic is only to be sold until an unspecified date in 2009; however, as will all of the others, regardless of the date I'm sure there will be HUGE stockpiles laying around, or so I hope. I hope this info is useful to someone out there; now that we know Costco can order them, that's a huge step in the right direction, as the old generics are almost all gone. 'night
  • Generic oxy 20mg at Raleys CA. My pain management doc was didn't know new info... Cost ----Work Comp....
  • New Mallinckrodt 10/20/40/80 ER's available by order now at a small Sothern CA chain of 12 stores, Gemmel Pharmacy. Thanks hermdoggy for the info.
  • We've had them for a while, Walgreens Boulder/
    Denver area. Also mallincrodt oxycodone IR, but have to blow through the rest of the Ethex before we move on to that. Some insurance companies still want brand, the new generic may not be in their formulary/ billing systems as a recognizable NDC yet. Walgreens is not charging a different price for the Mall. than we did for the Teva, at least not that I've noticed yet, but we really don't have that many cash patients.
  • Probably doesnt matter but I get the Mallin IR's from two seperate Rte Aids in my area. It might take awhile for the ER's to get around if they just came out in October, who knows. That sucks the prices have gone up, I dont pay much for mine but always look at the normal price and with the IR's ethex is always the cheapest and seem to work the least, Mallins are second in best price.
  • Just got the malli,s at Walgreens, 32 dollar savings. =D>
  • I just filled a prescription for 60 generic OxyContin 80mg tablets at a Walgreens in Southeastern Florida. Before filling the prescription, the pharmacist checked to see if they had the drug generically because she told me that the generics for OxyContin are no longer being manufactured, and will probably soon dry out pretty much everywhere. She advised that this is because Purdue has won court rulings regarding patents, preventing other pharmaceutical companies from manufacturing generic versions of OxyContin.

But let me get to the point. Agelity offers free discount cards to anyone who signs up for one online. There are probably lots of sites where you can print a card. Two that I know of are yourrxcard.com, and easydrugcard.com. I don't know what companies offer the best discounts, nor am I affiliated in any way with any company that does. But one neat thing about the Agelity sites is that you can actually check the medication pricing online. So, when you go to the pharmacy you should know exactly how much you're going to pay. When you check a price, just try to ensure you spell the name correctly, and if you are looking for a generic, the easiest way to find it is by typing in the generic name. They do offer a means to find the generic name if you only know the brand, but it's a lot faster if you know the generic. For example, for generic OxyContin pricing, simply type in "oxycodone" (leave out the quotation marks). Do NOT add "ER" -- if you do, the search will not be successful. You will see a list of oxycodone products, including the ER's (OxyContin generics). They are not available in every strength. Once you've located the strength from the list, click on it, and then click on "find drugs." You will see the cost for a bottle of 100. Then, click on the picture of a drug bottle. From there, change the quantity to the amount you have been prescribed, enter your zip code, and change the search radius if you wish. Finally, click on "Search."

You will see a list of drug stores, as well as the negotiated discount price at the particular store. Discounts can vary enormously by store BUT, it does not matter what generic brand is dispensed. Regardless of the generic manufacturer, the price is the same.

Using the Agelity discount for generic OxyContin, Walgreens had the lowest price by far. Sixty 80 mg. tablets cost $283.39 at Walgreens. Without the discount, the cost (regular retail price) would have been $639.99!!! I don't like any of the generics, but I don't have prescription insurance right now, and a savings of over $350 is tremendous to me. I mean it's less than half the price. So without the discount card, yes the price probably isn't much different from the brand name OxyContin. The Walgreens that I went to only had the Mallinckrodt generic, although others in the past had the Teva brand.

FYI, the highest price was at CVS -- a little over $412. But it should be noted that the store that has the lowest price for a particular medication can vary enormously, depending upon the drug. So, just because Walgreeens happens to have the lowest price on generic OxyContin with the Agelity discount, doesn't mean that it will have the lowest price compared to other stores on different drugs. Prices may also vary by area.

One final note. Purdue does offer patient assistance for OxyContin, but only for those who are significantly below the poverty level. Also, the assistance has to emanate from the doctor's office. You can't apply to Purdue for the assistance on your own. If you're able to get it, however, you would pay just a $20 co-pay for your OxyContin prescription and, of course, you'd get the brand name.

I hope the above info will be helpful to people.

• I just got 40 mg. oxy Mall. last week. I know some of you are believers in generics because of cost... I am on work comp and always have doc mark no generics on the OC , however I forgot last month. I posted in an earlier post regarding oxycodone 15mg. My doc wanted to prescribe me percs and I said no please write oxys 15mg . The doc said patients are having hard time filling the oxy 15. I went to RX and asked pharmist why is there a prob with oxy 15s.He went on to explain the shortage of opium ????? Anyway again like my previous post is there anybody having probs filling oxycodones15 ? As far as generics are concerned give me the name brand.... Just my opinion and not here to start debate ! Have a great day !
  • SPAM - Removed by Z06
  • I get generic mine are from Ethex. I use to get them from mallinckrodt.
    I will tell you this..... While they are suppose to be the same the Mallinckrodt were far more stronger.

I will also tell you while the generic is suppose to be the same as Oxycontin they are not!!!!!

Oxycontin are stronger then all generics and the WD from Oxycontin is worse.

Some people say its the fillers other cannot explain but there is a difference. you will find other posts reporting the same. Trust me....
  • All mine say is oxycontin on th label with oxycodone HCL CR written underneath. On the pills it says CDN on one side and 40 on the other. I guess CDN is the company initials?
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • CDN is the imprint for Purdue Pharma Canada.
advertisement