Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Two Micros one Fusion

TalsinCTTalsinC Posts: 8
All,

My apologies first. I posted a question way back in July asking for opinions on whether I should get a third micro or go in for the fusion and never posted back. Well I had fusion at L5-S1 with hardware August 6th. The lower back pain is untouched and the right leg pain is somewhat reduced. The troubling part is the NEW numbness and tingling in my right thigh, it wont go away and I almost wish it was pain instead. I am used to pain and can get through it, the numbness and tingling though is maddening. My surgeon does not seem to care at all that nothing is better. I get the feeling from him that since he performed the surgery nothing can be wrong.
I am now on Methadone along with a whole host of other medications and feel that the surgery failed. I am three months post surgery, still on short term disability with work and still taking narcotic pain relievers to function. Does it ever end?

I am not sure what I really came here to ask, maybe it was just to vent with people that would understand. My wife, God love her, is still putting up with me with a smile.

Curt
advertisement

Comments

• Curt,

You can always come and vent. That's not a problem!

After my last lumbar surgery, I wound up with a large area of my thigh that was numb. It freaked me out initially and I brought it to the attention of the NS. His reply was basically that since there wasn't any impaired function and no pain, that it was something that would just have to heal on it's own. That was April of 2005 and all but a small patch has regained sensation.

Hang in there,

"C"
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you seem to be doing what you can for pain relief and towards your recovery. <:P continue to follow your doctor's orders and DON'T overdo! :T give yourself all the time you have to heal!! there is no rush except on your end. good luck and don't worry,you will be back to work soon enough. :? Jenny :)
  • How long between your first two micros? Any reason given for the reherniation? I ask because I've had 2 micros this year and am currently reherniated again...
  • Sorry to hear that Unlucky08 you have my utmost sympathy. From what I understand I am a very odd case, my problems don't happen very often. Most people have a micro and that is the end of it.

Micro1 Jan 31, 2008
    Micro2 March 27, 2008
    Fusion August 6, 2008

No reason was ever given than, "it happens sometimes".

For me the first and second micros where great for about 2-3 weeks and them the pain came back. The fusion so far has given me limited relief and in fact I would rather the pain come back than the numbness and tingling.

I am a systems analyst for an advertising firm so the heaviest thing I lift during the day is a cup of coffee. I honestly can't think of anything I might have done to re-herniate.

The pain management doctor I am working with is great but at this point I am not sure where to go.

• AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
    edited 06/20/2016 - 10:44 AM
    I'm also a systems analyst (IT), and my 1st micro was the exact same day as your 2nd.

My reherniation was due to 'bad luck'. :)

Like you, I did nothing to reherniate or re-reherniate it. As a matter of fact I never really did anything to herniate it in the 1st place.

As for where you should go from here...

Hard to say, as you know. But I tend to think that until you get to the 6 month point, it's too soon to judge. Though I will say that Methadone seems like one hell of a lot of drug, considering you're 3-4 months post op. There's obviously something going on there. I wonder if it's time yet for another MRI? If you have a PPO I would consider getting a new MRI, and finding a new surgeon. It would be nice to have a fresh set of eyes on your current films.

I hope you see some improvement soon.

I suppose the 1st step would have to be to attempt to determine why you are still in pain. Has the fusion failed? Is it a scar tissue issue? Is the nerve just still recovering? Again, I suppose that another MRI either now, or at 6 months is the way to go.

I probably haven't said much that you haven't already thought of. Sorry I can't be of more help at the moment.

Me:
    1st Micro 3/27/08
    2nd Micro 6/27/08
  • Well I finally got some traction with the surgeon and he will be doing a spinal injection on me next week. He thinks that L4 might now be the problem and wants to verify that with a nerve block I think he called it.

At this point anything new sounds good but I don't think I can handle another herniated disk. The pain has reduced a bit over the last month and with my pain management doctor I have started to reduce some of my medications. The numbness and tingling however have gotten worse.

I go back to work in January so I hope things improve more between now and then. As it is right now I can't drive because I can't work the clutch. That's what I get I guess for always buying manual transmissions. :)

Thanks again for your responses, it's nice to be able to vent with people that understand.

Curt
advertisement