Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Right ankle pain after 3 Level Fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Has anyone had nerve pain only in either their right or left ankle going up the leg about 2 inches after 3 level fusion? :/ I don't have it anywhere else. I have had 1 epidural which didn't work. I am wearing a lidocaine patch but it's getting worse and see the doctor this week. Does anyone have any idea what is going on and why? Except for this I feel great - and this is getting frustrating. ~X( I still can't drive and I really want to go back to work. Delaware Girl :)))
advertisement

Comments

• I have not had a 3 level fusion, but have gone through 7 surgeries on my lumbar spine L4-S1. Even to this day (3 years later) if I do things to tire or irritate my lower back, I will get burning and pain on the outer side of my lower leg into my ankle. This will happen with no pain to my lower back, but to me it's a sign that I overdid things.

"C"
  • Hi there!

I have had 3 spine surgeries. each one left my legs burning and aching. I think thi swas due to the retraction of th enerves during the procedures. But then again, I also had hardwear that moved and my leg numbness was as a result of this too.

Keep ppl informed of what is happening, chances are it is all ok but better be safe than sorry!
  • Hi, I had a ALIF on L5 S1 on Oct 1st. I developed leg pain 10 days after my surgery. I called the doctor because i was concerned.They told me it was normal because of them messing around my nerve roots. Some days it hurt so bad, I didn't want to walk. It lasted about 2 weeks & are normal now. I just rested more then.

I hope you get some relief soon!!
  • Thanks - it was really bad in church yesterday. I haven't figured out yet what is triggering it. Walking doesn't make it worse. I am going to go back to walking an hour or so a day and see what happens. I think it may be too much sitting. :)))
  • I am awaiting my surgery. I am completely collapsed at L5 S1, and am either having an artificial disk put in, or a fusion.
    Anyway, I had pain on the top of my left ankle going a couple of inches up my shin. My doc told me this was normal because of the compression on the nerve. Not sure about after surgery. :( Sorry!

Caity
  • Hi...I a 3-level fusion and had EXACTLY this same problem - pain in right ankle, not distributing elsewhere...and I do mean to say that it was really painful. But it went away in a couple of weeks.

Hang in there...I don't know this happens, but it should go away.

Mike
advertisement