Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

l5l6 prolapse

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Lower Back Pain
can any body tell me do you get much leg pain and what is the limit on constant pain in the leg is it possible after a few years for the nerve to be damaged permanently in the sciatic and the nerve reflexes to deminish or are they un related.? ~X(
advertisement

Comments

• What I think you mean is L5 and S1. With a prolapse at that area leg pain can vary person to person. I had none. A week before my surgery I started with some sharp shooting siatica pain. Some people have pain in both legs or just one. Not one person you will find has the same symptoms.
    Nerve relfexes can diminish.
    Pain can vary and be on and off for people also pain levels will vary.
    Permanant nerve damage can happen if left gone untreated for a long period of time.
    So that its so very important to be under the care of a Neurosurgeon spine specilist or a Orthopedic spine speciallist
    All treatment should be tried as In injections, therapy etc before a Dr even considers surgery. Or if surgery is even a option for you.

What has your Dr. told you on this situation???

Here is a link on herniations aka buldges prolapses. Drs will all use different terms for herniation.
    click on the link to find out more information.

http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/herniated-disc/lumbar-herniated-disc

Good luck
    Terri
  • Hi Piggy, welcome to SH. Yes definitely you can get sciatic/radicular pain from L5-S1 prolapse. People are all different, and the nerve pathways can even be different, but there is a common course for them that the majority of the population has. I am going to post a link to the Chirogeek website. It is full of great info to help us understand these things. This is the sciatica link, but check out the others as well, especially dermatomes. http://www.chirogeek.com/000_Sciatica_General_Infor.htm

Nerve damage can be permanent, but I don't think there is any way to know until you fix the problem and see if symptoms improve. Nerve healing can take months to years.
    Have you seen a Spine surgeon. What is the plan of action? Have you tried any conservative measures? Good-luck and let us know more about yourself. Take care,
    >:D< Cali-Sue
  • my injection didnt work when back with my ortho he didnt make much of anything other than to ask if my back is sore when i said no he just said by the images it should b . which was bizarre to me then he just ordered new mri and x rays they said i have artritus and prolapses and my left leg is just about moveable i still walk but my leg is dragging had to buy new runners as the left one was totally worn across the bottom. any one tell me what is goin on mhen i lie in a bath its like my but disappears into the bath and the hip is resting on the bottom
This discussion has been closed.