Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hernated Disk ...how should I proceed.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
When I was playing High school football my senior year I was told I had several hernatieted discs that would/could cause me to pass out if I impacted the area too hard. Essentialy caused by me putting my head down to hit people. Over the years I’ve been in and out of Physical therapy and chiropractic every few years
2 1/2 months ago I went to my primary Physician complaining of shoulder pain. I'm having radiating pain from my upper back close to my elbow. Close to 9 or 10 at times. Sometimes it hurts so bad I have shortness of breath.
I was given Vicodin and sent on my way. Vicodin had no effect. I start seeing a Chiropractor that recommends an MRI after a few treatments. I also started physical therapy.
MRI reveals a bulging disc at C7 and a herniated disk at C6. I was referred to a pain center where I started Epidurals. 3 shots in total. None of them relieving the pain completely and only for a week or so. I was told to stop Physical Therapy and Chiropractic during the injections.
Now the pain center wants to do a Nerve block. What are the chances this would succeed in my case? The pain center says it’s just the next step they take.
I started Tramadol several weeks ago and it seems to take the pain level down to a 5 at times.
I've mentioned this ordeal to people I know and they tell me that if it's been going on for over 2 month they are surprised surgery hasn't been considered yet. How should I proceed?
Should I restart traction? I have an in house traction machine but I've been given several variations on its use etc.
advertisement

Comments

• You should talk to a neurologist or ortho or even your family dr. before doing the traction. I think they'll do more tests before surgery. Take care Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I have read in general online that they consider surgery after 2 months...I've been having problems for a year now, but really bad for the past 10 months.
    I have to ruptured disc at C5/C6, some mild central stenosis, but they aren't affecting my spinal cord yet.
    My neurologist says it isn't enough for surgery...
    I have all my pain on my left side basically. Left shoulder, shoulder blade, side of neck, arm, wrist, hand, fingers...I also have pain on the back of my neck , between my shoulder blades...And it goes up behind my left ear and up to the top of the left side of my head, having head pain.
    It has gotten somewhat better, but when it is irratated watch out. Right now walking, laying still with an ice pack on my neck is the only way to relieve most of the pain. Sitting anywhere with support or not creates it. Sometimes I do have a hard time falling asleep because laying down in a sleeping position doesn't sit well with the head pain...So I just wait for the meds to make me go to sleep.

He is scheduling me for more PT.
    I'm thinking also the pain could be radiating down my left leg and foot. Or I have a disc problem in my lower back. I just find it odd that it is all on the left side. And I also have stiff back and neck moments.

My neuro was like I need to fix the hand thing ...Im like "Really? you think?" lolz
  • The one thing that help me almost immediatley with my pain levels was an anti-inflamitory medication. After obscene pain for 2 months, after 2 tablets it was GONE whoo hooo... Anyway Ive been doing the Chiro thing with my NS blessing, and now I dont even take meds for pain because for the most part I dont have any. The tingles and numbness have passed also. Well the tingles still show themselves here and there but not as intense as before. This is what has worked for me, maybe something you could ask your Doc about?