Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What to expect at my first post op visit 6 weeks today???

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi I didn't know where to post this, sorry. I am having my first post op visit 6 weeks after L4-L5 spinal fusion with my neurosurgeon tomorrow. I am on the no bending, no lifting and no twisting routine and wearing a back brace all the time except for sleeping and bathing (This back brace is a pain to wear, but it keeps my spine aligned, it is just so uncomfortable). Anyways my question is what do I ask my doctor? I really don't know what to expect at this visit and I am hoping that someone has and can kind of help me so I don't feel so stupid asking the doctor a dumb question.
I can think of a few questions, can anyone add more or tell me if they are okay to ask:
The fusion alleviated the pain, but I still
have days or several times during the day I have
some pain, will this go away or is this normal??
Will I ever be able to bend at the waist?
Can I get rid of the brace?
Can I start PT now?
I still have pain, can I still take percocet and flexerall for a while longer?
What things should I be doing or not doing, as I do not want to have more surgery?

Anybody out there can you please give me advice and I am open to anything you write.

LuAnn :? I)

L4-L5 Spinal Fusion Sept 22, 2008
L4/5 Disectomy June 18, 2007
Chronic Back pain for the past 15 years
Meds
Percocet,Flexerall,Flector Patch, Diclofenac Potassium, Kadian, Lyrica, Soma

These are the many ways I cope with my back pain:
Chiropractic, massage, hot and cold packs, physical therapy, accupuncture, etc.

advertisement

Comments

• I just want to get that out of the way first. THere are no stupid questions when it comes to your health. Ask as many as you want. Most genuinely caring docs love a patient who is thier own advocate. So ask away! I think that all of those are valid questions to ask and your doctor really is the only one who can answer them as each body, surgery, recovery is unique. Hope I helped you a little.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. Stephanie is right about your questions! ask away and don't stop till you are satisfied with the answers. :? check out "Back and Neck surgery" forum for some more input. good luck and hang in there with that brace. you are really doing the RIGHT thing!! hope to see you around! Jenny :)
  • (|: I had a list of questions and was ready for the visit. Good news the fusion is starting to take place. I love this site everyone is very helpful. Will post my surgery story in the September section of this forum. Glad to meet some really neat people. Well gotta go I am very tired.
    Thanks,
    LuAnn
  • hey guys

This the first time I have been to this site and hoping someone out there can help me understand and know what to do so here's my story

For the pass 5 or more years I have had back problems to were I have to take long periods of time off from work to get better and over the years its been getting worse to were I've been picked up by ambulance, shots to relieve pain, pain killers, epidural shots, physically therapy and nothing has ever worked. So now I am to the point were I have two ruptured disc in my lower back (L4 & L5) and now after going to 3 doctors I have to get a ALIF & PLIF and I am scared to death...of losing my job, of what the process of recovery is...to what I need to take with me when I go to get this done and in the long run will I have to file for disabilty because the job I curently have is a sit down job and it literally kills me to sit at my desk. So if there someone out there that can help me understand, explain, or share I would truly be greatful, also where go to the post op what question sure i ask because right am blank when it comes to all of this. Thank you for you time.
advertisement