Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Myelogram Question

shar51sshar51 Posts: 241
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am so confused. My surgeon has ordered a myelogram, I have never had one yet I have had 2 cervical spine surgeries. I have often heard of this test but usually before any surgery. Why would he order one this late in the game, my last surgery which was a revision was done in Feb 07. Seems like my surgeon is doing things backwards. Needless to say this test scares me and I have always thought I was lucky to get out of having one. Just need some thoughts on this on what he could be looking for and what he could even do if he finds something. I do not see any more surgery in my future, no more, I am done.

Sharon
advertisement

Comments

• For most mylogram not that bad. I had a mylogram on my lumbar, and surgeon told me it confirmed I did not need surgery. so never had surgery on lumbar. Its going to show the nerves and will help better diagnois how to treat you're problem. So if you have been dealing with this for a long time, I'd look at this as a good thing, it show things MRI and other tests cannot show and is said to be more acturate in some ways. You will at least know if you have anymore options or if everything looks good and hopefully time will resolve things. For most you go in hosp for the day, a little uncomfortable for the 5mins or so they are putting dye in, then long as you do not get headach, just like getting x-ray or CT. Then you have to stay in bed for number hours and send you home. I hade two and felt no neg effects from test both times.
  • Are the cervical myelogram's different than the lumbar? I have done some research and it seems the cervical are little more dangerous. I guess you can see that I am nervous. Just last week I had a 4 hour nuclear heart test to rule out anything wrong with my heart, I have been having some angina symptoms which I believe are cervical related. My heart test were all normal. I am just so tired of being poked and stuck.

Sharon
  • Only difference between cervical and lumbar and i've had both. With me the tilted the table up and down to get dye to cervical area after they put the dye in.dye is injected same place for cervical as lumbar in lumbar area. Does not hurt or anything and guess if you are sensitive to dye might be a little more risk of getting headache since putting dye in cervical area, but its only a chance. then I was not allowed to situp till CT was done so dye would stay in cervical area. Maybe I was lucky but really did not think test was that uncomfortable.
  • Thanks Robert, you have put my mind to some ease. I did call the imaging place this morning and they told me it was an easy test and I would only be there for maybe an hour. I have had some doozy of test and for some reason this one is bothering me. I have had 3 lumbar epidurals and 2 cervical epidurals and never give much thought to them. I also had and emg/ncv test and the needles did not bother me. Thank you again.

Sharon
  • It wasn't that bad really, I had a headache to start with lol :)....some of the dye gets into your brain which made my head hurt worse, especially when they tilted the table...couldnt sit up until CT was over...laid flat in recovery for 3 hours, then sat up a bit for 3 more....I took it easy all weekend and never got a spinal headache..whew! Good luck to you dear, you'll be just fine.

7/96 C5 fracture w/ ligament tearing/stretching...3/97 Posterior cervical fusion C4-6 w/ 2 titanium plates, 6 screws. Migraine sufferer. 8/08 MRI C6-7 minimal herniation and diskogenic disease. Myelogram 10/3/08 showed no major compression of disks. Left sided screw at C4 and C6 levels are backing out, C4 screw is very close to vertebral artery. Cerebral angiogram scheduled 11/14/08...hardware removal most likely in my future....maybe my left sided headaches will stop after all this! Stay blessed everyone.
  • The myelogram just prior to surgery will give the doc a better picture of where he will need to be doing the work. Regarding the test itself, there will be discomfort when the needle goes into the canal space but otherwise the test is pretty simple including the tipping of the table. The after effects are the headaches (possibly severe) but there are several tricks to avoid them. 1st, the day before load up on caffeine. 2nd, for 24 hours after the test keep yourself well hydrated and finally stay as inactive as possible.
advertisement