Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leg Weakness

JoyJJoy Posts: 560
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey all! Just curious. I'm 4 months post-op fusion. In the last day or so I've noticed weakness in one leg...no pain, just feels tired. Any ideas? No, I've not overdone in the past few days. lol
advertisement

Comments

• You know I haven't had surgery but all I can say is have you had your follow up with the surgeon? Maybe a call to him? Or even your family Dr? Hope you're not overdoing it too. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I had my follow up visit with the surgeon on 10/20, but I wasn't having this problem then. Perhaps all the rain we're getting now has something to do with it? Who knows? If it doesn't improve in the next couple of days (or gets worse), I will call the dr. Really don't think I've overdone it lately. lol I'm sure sitting at the Rally on Saturday for 5 hours didn't help anything!

When is your surgery?
  • Hi Joy, I had surgery in mid-June, and yes - leg fatigue (BOTH LEGS) and weakness is one of my most prevalent symptoms. It's a miserable feeling - one that my NS has told me mirrors the symptoms of spinal stenosis when one is still healing. In my case, the sensation feels somewhat like the malaise that one gets with the flu - not fun at all, because it makes everything else from the beltline upwards feel just as badly.

The low back area where I had my 3-level is STILL sore, so I believe this. I have good and bad days with the leg weakness, varies considerably. I wish you well.

Mike
  • I'm not really having pain in the area where I had my surgery, and no leg pain. But...my SI joints hurt terribly (at least I think it is SI). I hurt on each side of my back about 4 inches down from my waistline. Getting out of bed is horrible! After I walk a while, it eases off.

Did the doc say how long this leg weakness would last?
  • Hi Joy, unfortunately, he did not say....and I was afraid to ask! :?
  • I am just over 3 months post fusion and have some days when my legs - especially the left one - feel a bit weak and wobbly. No clue why although they did seem worse after I spent 2 5-hour days in the car. And no leg pain although the muscles in the front of my left thigh get very tight after about 15 minutes of walking - that is new in the last 2 weeks! Probably most problematic is that the muscles that run up and down on either side of my spine and my abs get really sore - may be related to new exercises in PT!

I know you know this but you might want to check with your doctor (or do you have a good PT that you are working with?) about the weakness if it continues!
  • I'm not in PT...my doc does not prescribe it. I guess he wants me fully fused before anything like that. It just seems that all of a sudden I have this weakness thing...thank God there is no pain. Just feels like it might give way. I'll have to call the doc's office tomorrow and find out what's going on.
  • Let us know what your doc says!
  • Spoke with my PA today about the leg weakness. She said that if the weakness gets worse where I cannot walk, they need to see me. Otherwise, they don't see a problem.

Since I'm having a lot of really low back pain, I asked about Ibuprofen and was told absolutely I could not take them yet. So...back to the heating pad!
  • So glad you checked with the doctor - I hope it helped alleviate your concerns a little. For me, one of the hard parts of this recovery is knowing what is normal and what is a sign that something is wrong. (Sometimes I wonder if I am becoming a hypochondriac.)

There are days I would so love to be able to take ibuprofen - especially when I am sore after PT. I got up in the middle of the night last night and heated up my microwave heat pack for my sore and achy legs thinking longingly of how much just one or two ibuprofen would help!
  • This website has been wonderful in helping to know what is normal or not. I appreciate so much all the info others have shared...what would I do without all of you?
  • I wondered where you'd been...missed you! You know, I wonder if it could have been that 5 hours I sat in at the bleachers last Saturday? That's the only thing I can think that could have caused it. Thankfully, it got better yesterday and today it feels fine...even the pain in the SI's is better. WooHoo!!
  • I can relate to your pain. Saw my PT doctor for a follow up and she reminded me the surgery stabalizes the spine but does not "fix" any arthritis we have going on, so that pain as well as other pain not cleared up by surgery continues. She told me to take Arthritis Strength Tylenol in a higher dose when I have pain. She felt I was inflammed at the time of my exam and that's all she prescribed at that time as well. I feel much of my pre and post surgery pain in my very low back and thigh areas and feel it most when walking.
  • Does this have any ibuprofen in it? Just curious. It would be good to take when my SI joints act up. Thanks.
  • Hey thats weird.
    I too am getting leg weakness. Must be the weather! (joke)

Not sure what I have done. I am 6 weeks post revision and guess it must be flaring up??

I keep tripping up and limping.
    My surgeon and PT have not remarked - the classic " no comment" I guess they are all just glad I can wriggle my toes. lol!

Joy you any better yet?
  • I believe tyleno arthritis just has a higher dose of tylenol and it may be extended release. No ibuprofen in it. Sue
  • I am so happy for you that it has settled down.

5 hrs is a long time to sit for anyone. I know even if I go to the movies i get the end seat in the back row so I can get up and have a walk around without feeling I am disturbing anyone.

Maybe next time you need to get seats where you can move a bit.

Blessings Sara O:)
  • OMG - it'd be nice to eat a meal without getting pain!

In my near to dreamssss.....

=))
  • I asked my doc about any sitting restrictions (since I had read here that many are restricted) and he told me there were no restrictions. Since the surgery, I have sat as long as I wanted to and never had any pain from it. I had a few muscle spasms, but nothing worse.
advertisement