Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SI pain & injections post fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
so... I think some of you know my story by now.
I'm 37. back pain issues for 12 years or so after a water skiing accident. had a 2 level fusion... infection... blah blah blah.

so... started PT and my SI pain which has been my chief complaint for over a decade... came back with a vengeance. my pain was exactly as bad as it was pre-fusion. as you can imagine... this was truly depressing. I posted on the depression site of the board... I was that down.

I am back wearing my TENS unit all day long. a little more meds since the fusion... (that's still healing) icing all the time like I used to for my SI. heat on my hips and thighs which cramp up in response to the pain.

my NS recommended anti-depressants. I was like, no thank you. I take enough meds already. please just lead me to someone who can help. give me hope and I'll be OK. I've made it all these years without anti-depressants. It's a whole 'nother topic I'm still dealing with and trying to figure out what to do about... but I'll leave that for the depression site.

anyway... so he sent me back to my pain management doc. he was a new one I went to pre-fusion and he said I had something wrong with my ilio-sacral something or other muscle or ligament... which was probably injured many years ago and either did not heal or healed improperly (I know for sure I tore my right hamstring with my waterskiing accident). so... long story short (I'm trying)... my NS said no matter what other issues I had going, my instability and bad disc issues had to be taken care of first. so I had the fusion and then the pain came back. neither my NS or Pain dude were surprised.

so day before yesterday I went to talk to my pain doc. talked me into 3 shots. I've had so many over the years I seriously can't count them. they quit working in Jan of 2006... but he talked me into giving them another shot. (get it... shot?) so yesterday I went in for three shots. one in my SI area, one closer to the hip... one deep in my butt. well, three plus the ones to deaden the site... good one... they never truly work. wow is my butt sore today. I am hoping SO BADLY this helps.

they say my mechanics are so off after so many years of walking and running with a messed up muscle and discs. my SI is literally stuck on my right side. it's obvious when they test both my right leg and left leg.

I look healthy. was a runner since 7th grade. distance runner through high school, college, and then upped it to training & running several 1/2 marathons (my favorite distance) and two marathons til I could no longer handle the SI, hip, and leg pain. haven't run in 2 years and 5 months but runnning so many years with bad mechanics has left me ironically in really bad shape. so anyway, because I look healthy and young, my PT girl pushed me too hard too soon. I didn't whine enough. my husband ended up calling my PT girl and talking to her. and then he called my NS and told him what a mess I was physically and emotionally. so... my PT girl talked to my NS and she totally backed off anything that would flare me up. I am not worse, but not better. but I know my core needs strengthened and her killer massages I am told do me good.. though sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe the pain is so intense.

that is my update. If I don't get relief, I will consider anti-depressants to help get through this time. they say PT for me will be a long journey. initially they said 4 months. now they're telling me probably longer. one day at a time, my spiney friends.

I try to stay positive as I know you all try as well. I am lucky to be married to a very wonderful and loving man. I have two precious and healthy children. other than my pain, I consider myself ridiculously blessed. just not ready to accept a life of chronic intense pain though I've lived with it for a long time now. still searching for hope and answers.

thanks for listening.
G.
advertisement

Comments