Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What if I don't like this pm dr?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Lower Back Pain
After reading some of your posts, I am curious about the pm dr. What if I don't like him (personality or bedside manner)or he doesn't like me? What do I do? I've not heard anything negative about him. Once again, I appear to be worrying about something that has not and probably will not happen. Anyone have any feedback or ideas? :S
advertisement

Comments

• Has there been anything that made you uncomfortable with this doc and how he is treating you?

"C"
  • Nothing has happened. My appt is on Monday 11/10. I guess I was just curious about the pm process. I know that if you see a regular GP and you don't like him, you JUST change doctors. I think I am just worring needlessly. I haven't met the man yet!!!! WOW - after thinking about this question, I feel kind of stupid.
  • Dont feel stupid. Our PM doc's pretty much have our lives in their hands and darn it we better get along right? I didnt really like my 1st PM doc and I just changed. My insurance is pretty good about that and there are alot of PM docs in my area. I hope you have the same convenience. I hope all goes well for your appointment. Let us know how it goes.
  • Please don't put the cart before the horse. dmoonchild is correct that our PM docs are our lifeline, however we must establish a good relationship with them if at all possible. Sometimes the best docs have the worst bedside manners too.

On the flip side, the docs have to have the opportunity to "size us up" as well. Most will start out with conservative treatments, not because they don't trust us, but because they are trying to do us a favor and not needlessly overmedicate us. I have found that these docs also follow up closely with new patients, adjusting medication levels as needed until a therapeutic balance is achieved.

If I were to have been hopping from one PM doc to another just because I really didn't "hit it off" with the doc initially or the doc didn't provide me what I felt was adequate "service", then I would have been shooting myself in the foot.

Good luck with your appointment on the 10th. Please let us know how it goes.

"C"
  • Pamelab,
    If he tells you things you do not like, you know you are on the right track, if you go and the doctor agrees with all you say you may as well swap roles, some of the information you will not like, the mode of his insinuation or direct comment, he is going to help you and you have to help yourself, the alternative is to become angry with yourself and the world. The intention is to manage yourself more effectively use your medication to its fullest extent and never stop trying. He has no crystal ball or magic solution so do not ask him for one, asking him how best to help yourself and ask him what he would do in your situation, look him between the eyes when you ask.

He will talk about pain and its development and have decisive opinions about the route and method of your ongoing treatment, your past is you past and they deal with facts and not opinions or superfluous history, my professor told me things I least wanted to hear they were true, and that took some guts from him to say, to tell another human this is your life for the future.

Make a list of your questions before you go and hold them, do your research and go through all the options and variables. Leave in the knowledge of what you are doing and how you are collectively going to do this.

We are looking for a solution to our ongoing problem not a friend, take care and be kind to yourself

It will not be as bad as you think, have the right expectations and you will be fine.

Good luck. John

• I expected to find the pain management doc I was sent to, to be a nice guy. What a major jerk!! He forced me to arch backwards (actually pushed me) twice. The third time I resisted him. He's damn lucky I didn't kick him where it would really, really hurt, because he really hurt me. That is one office I will never return to. Didn't want his silly spinal cord stimulator and didn't care for his "I am God" attitude. Nope, no way, no how. Hope your experience was much better than mine.

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.