Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

surgery is over and I'm home

grandmesamomggrandmesamom Posts: 181
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers,They were greatly needed and I am now home working on a speedy recovery.
The NS said he was happy that he moved the surgery up and that everything went well. This surgery was much easier than the first. He did not use my bone to fuse and i came out of surgery and went home without a collar or brace. I didn't lose my voice this time around and the incision was smaller than last time. I am taking norco for pain and valium for muscle spasms. The NS decompressed the spinal cord and revised my C-7 and fused C5-6. He told my husband that it should not get any worse but he doubts that I will totally regain the strength that I lost even with years of rehab. I will remain positive and hope for the best.
Overall I am encouraged that it went better than expected. I am a little concerned that my arms still ache but hope that that will go away in time.
Thanks again for your support.
Bethy
advertisement

Comments

• I've been thinking about you and wondering how it went. I'm glad to hear you're home. Just remember to take care of yourself and even if you are having a great day, make sure not to overdo it. ;))
  • I'm glad you're home safe. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Glad you are home, with your voice, and doing well. I've been looking to see how you are doing. Take it easy, and heal well.
  • Glad to hear that everything went so well. :) We will all be sending positive thoughts your way. Hope you have a speedy recovery!
  • Welcome back, I am glad everything went so good. I was wondering about how you are doing, I wish you all the best and a speedy healing. >:D<
  • I noticed you said you had voice problems after your first surgery. How long did it take to resolve? I had ACDF with plating in July and continue to have a high pitched whispery voice, choke, cough, etc. The ENT doctor says I have a paralyzed vocal cord and has suggested an injection into the paralyzed cord that is being done in a couple of weeks. I had the same surgery in 1997 with no problems at all. Thanks.
  • It took over 2 months before people could hear me. I also was choking on fluids all the time and it was very frustrating. My ENT said I had a right sided paralysis. Believe it or not i had experienced a severe choking and coughing spell that somehow made my voice start to get better. This surgery the NS said i would be at an extremely high risk of this happening again. My voice is raspy but it is nowhere like it was the first time around. I don't have to work as hard to talk.I feel your frustrations because I was also in the position that I never thought it would get better. Good Luck. Bethy
  • well done, take care of yourself and I wish you a speedy recovery.
advertisement