Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is there a positive side to a fusion??

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I haven't heard much that is positive about getting a fusion. Just wondering if there were any good stories out there.

thanks for all the responses so far.

advertisement

Comments

• i dont know if i am actually qualified to reply to your question. I had a fusion done march 2007 and was doing fair until I had a slip up and had to have a total of 3 more surgeries since then. I just wanted to tell you I will be praying for you and wish you luck. It really helps most people as long as you follow the docs orders.
  • I am not in a wheelchair and I'm not in a casket. I can hold my grandson because my muscles haven't atrophied which could have happened had I not had the surgery. I can move my head from side to side and up and down and I can drive. I will be back at work soon doing my job once again. And oh, I went shopping by myself today which is a major accomplishment for me. My pain in now very minor. I'm not 100% yet but I'm getting there. You may hear stories of difficult recoveries but I am living proof that you do recover and many recover with only a few twinges and sore throat afterward. You didn't indicate your condition which might help some here understand what you're going through now and may be able to offer even more specific help. It's a tough decision to make for many and it should not be taken likely because once you do it it can't be undone. Hope this is helpful. Let us know what type of surgery your'e considering.
  • I'm 4 months out from fusion of L4/L5. I don't have any of the butt and leg pain that made it impossible to walk prior to surgery. I still ache and get tired quickly, but I'm very thankful I had the surgery. Recovery is really, really slow, but if you follow your doc's instructions, you will get along fine.
  • yeah as its been said, people recover and move on. there are a ton of sucess stories out there.

i found the longer you wait for a surgery after consecutive treatments have not worked, the more damage there is being done.

i personally only went 8 months. i went to pain managment, tried getting my pain under control with meds and injections. those failed. so i decided on the fusion.
    my back was not to the point of having leg pain. only lower back pain and in my hips.
    all that went away.
    the only drawback i had was i did not fuse. but that was due to recent circulatory problems just found. so i had to have a revision surgery.

i have a friend that has posted here a few times. she is a year out and is back at the gym doing her normal daily living.

so yes if you follow your drs orders to the T alot of fusion come out perfect. also has alot to do how you recovery and the DR is very very important. you have to be comfortable with them and do your homework. as in how many surgeries have they performed. how long they have been practicing etc. like do they come highly recommended that sort of thing.

there are always complications with surgery. its a long hard recovery. no matter what part of the spine is being worked on.

with my cervical fusion it took awhile. the headaches/tingling/numbness all went away when i awoke in recovery. i now have full movement of my neck with no pain.

surgery is never a 100 percent. any dr will tell you that.
    but if you get rid of some of your symptoms or even all of them its a sucess to me.

are you considering surgery??? and at what levels etc?

take care
    terri
  • I am still waiting for full fusion I am so much better off then before the surgery. Like Joy I had constant pain and numbness in my legs which has mostly gone and I can now do things like go shopping or for a walk which I couldn't do before.
    So YES there are positive sides.

Blessings Sara O:)
  • I consider my surgery a success. While it is a long slow recovery I now have a stable spine that doesn't creak and crunch with every movement and my preop leg pain is gone and I don't limp anymore. I can now walk miles whereas before I only walked as much as I had to to get by. I am returning to work as a RN on Nov. 21st. Good-luck, tell us more about yourself. >:D< Sue
  • I can now sleep in my bed - I spent 6 months on the floor. I can walk 4 miles almost pain free. I can ride in a car short distances. I feel much better and I am now walking straighter. I only ocassionally have to take a pain pill. I can do things with my children and husband. I would have the surgery again in a heartbeat. That being said, I did a lot of research before I decided on a surgeon. Although it has been slow going, I am very grateful for the
    this life-changing surgery. O:)
advertisement