Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What are your goals post surgery?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
It occured to me recently that I need to reassess my goals now that I am more able to do things and am so much better then I was before surgery.
I know 2 of my goals are to Climb Sydney Harbour Bridge and to go Parasailing on the harbour. I also really would love to visit Maccupiccu (bad spelling here)in Peru but that will take a LOT of climbing any maybe a bit more time. (and money)

So I need more short term goals to keep me going on the 'time-line' and keep me positive. It is amazing how good it feels to reach those goals no matter how small they appear.

I have decided that the gym is the best thing for me as i can also have lots of mini goals there too so getting there is a big one for me. I also want to be back working and need to find a job when I get the OK, so I am doing research now on what type of job etc.
Getting off meds and loosing weight are also on the list but short term I want to get back to walking 4 laps of the park like I was doing a couple of months ago.

So what are your goals, I'd love to hear some no matter how trivial they sound.
I remember being in hospital and desperately wanting to wipe my own ass =)) That was a really big acheivement!
Then loosing the walking frame, showering myself, they were all really important. Even just turning over in bed on your own is a big deal and worth counting.
Sometimes it takes us to look back to see how far we have come.

so please share!

Blessings Sara O:)
advertisement

Comments

• great post!!! actually AWESOME!!! =D>

hmm i would have to say as i am still early out and have another major op coming, so im not sure if i actually fit in this catagory :$ :$ :$
    walking down the road
    cleaning my house
    going to the store
    driving a car
    working
    going out with friends again.
    cruise planned for nov 09 iffy on that one.

i know those may sound minor. but for my personal profile its going to be a huge leap and jump just to walk somewhere.
    (totally unrelated to the back all that are reading)

but your right sara even the simplist of things like rolling over in bed we take for granted. then wow ya can't do it. then after a few weeks you can!!!
    i had no issue when i came home with that this time. as i was able to sleep on my side, but last yr oh boy!! that took awhile to feel comfortable on my side.

i would also like to hear others reply. :D
    even though some of mine sound silly really they are not.
    you don't know what you have till its gone..
    but its all coming and I CANNOT WAIT i am going to have a PARTYYYYYY <:P <:P <:P <:P

huggies
    terri >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • For now I would love to be sitting in a perfectly clean house. Clean carpet would even be nice. Long term. I wanna ride a Harley. Don't you laugh at me Terri. :))) I am serious. By summer I want to be riding. I've never done that and was on my way to actually achieving this goal and then life took me down another path.
  • Climb Mt Fuji.

I have all kinds of other goals, but this is one that I have always wanted to do.

"C"
  • Be back out on the trails hiking and doing my favorite activity that I love so much :X , geocaching (high tech treasure hunting). I hope that by the time the weather warms up, I can at least get out and get on paved trails anyways.
  • Go for a hike in the mountains (my favorite place in all the world).

Walk on the beach (my second favorite place).

Shave my legs without it being such a scarry thing!

Pick up my 1-yr. old grandson
  • HHMMNNN, goals, to finish remodeling my house. Play volleyball instead of watching at the sides. Dance with my daughter and return to work.

Long term goals, I havent thought about that one but its a great question. I parasailed last year and took a 3000 mile rock/crystal hunting trip this past summer with the kids, the year before that we climbed around in Lasen Volcanic Park. I never let the pain stop me, I just kept going, unfortuetely doing more damage than good. Anyway, I would like to go to Costa Rica or one of the smaller islands in the Bahamas. But have no clue what I will do when I get there,lol.
  • Hi all, I want to buy another motorcycle and ride like there is no tomorrow. My husband and I decided it was time to sell my 1 year old sport bike. Anytime I went over a bump the extreme pain of bone to bone slamming was not safe or healthy. I also want to be able to do everything I used to without the pain. Travel, we do a bunch of it and I miss it. My 4 dogs would also like me to wrestle more with them but the smallest one is 70 lbs. I am an outdoorsy type and do not care too much if the house is not perfect as long as the bird feeders are filled and the dogs are happy. I think my husband is trying to get me motivated before surgery, he bought me a brand new 4 wheeler a few days ago! We will use it for plowing snow too. I love the water and would like to swim and boat as soon as possible. Well here goes, surgery in the morning 360 fusion...I cannot wait till it is over.
  • 1) To be able to SIT DOWN for Thanksgivings Day dinner at my SIL.
    2) Feel secure enough to rake some leaves that same weekend.
    3) Get my trailer winterized.
    4) Take my wife and son out to a fancy sit down restaurant, the kind where you order off a menu by name not by number and they bring the food right to your table. No trays!
    5) To be completely off any kind of pain killers by Christmas Day.
    6) Attend “First Night” in Boston 12/31/2008
  • Goals, hmmmm......
    1-Get rid of this pain in my upper back.
    2-Go back to work and tolerate it.
    3-Buy my own house.
    4-Look for a different job maybe that I love.
    5-Join Team in Training or perhaps some other ongoing physical endeavor to keep me in shape.
    6-Date(scarey) or just find some new friends and activities.
    7-Loose another 35 pounds to get to my goal weight.
    8-Travel
    9-Get my masters in nursing education.
    10-Be happy.

There, that is a comprehensive long term list. I think it was more doable when my goals were to roll over or wipe my ass without butt tongs =)) =)) .

Great thread Sara, glad you are back from holiday. >:D< Sue
  • I LOVE READING ALL YOUR GOAL and nothing is too big or too small. >:D<

I would also love to be out dancing again, I used to dance comp in ballroom, latin, jive etc but that was a long time ago. Now I would be happy to just go and enjoy a dancing on a regular basis.

Cali-Sue I hadn't heard of butt tongs until after I didn't need them. :))( or :''(

Keep them coming!
  • Feel good enough to return to Jamaica (would be my 8th trip) and enjoy an afternoon on the catamaran in Mo-Bay, time on the jetski in Negril, tubing down the White River in Ocho . . . and possibly try the canopy tour in the mountains.
  • with you. It sounds so cool. <:P <:P <:P
    As I read your post I felt myself doing those things- how great it is going to be for you when you actually can!!!!!

• short time:
    walk my dogs again...two 75 greyhounds are quite a job. At least I can now walk the little Italian greyhound I felt so great the first day we went out together..like I was free!

Go back to work; maybe not in the same position I was in (I teach very impaired children, but LOVE it)...but feel I still have a lot to offer and look forward to returning to work.

To be able to walk on the beach and sit as long as I want without having to get up because it hurts.

Long term:
    Plan a trip to Italy with my husband

Dance at my sons' weddings WHENEVER that happens!
  • I bought a harley after not having one for about 20 years and then was in to much pain to ride it. TONYA42 I am with you maybe when I am fully recovered
    I will give you that ride and make us both happy.
  • Would you believe I never rode a Harley until I was about 62? Man, what a ride!!! Loved it!!
  • Right now I'd settle for being able to walk more than two blocks without ending up in terrible pain. Surgery is next week, so I'll be working on it! I really hope this works out for the best. I'll be retiring (God willing) in 13 months. I really want to be able to run, jump, and PLAY!

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Now is the BEST time to put down your goals in detail everything from being able to walk unaided to dancing on the tables <:P
    All the best for your wonderful and successful surgery next week
  • Heck yeah! Now I have even more motivation to get better! You know what's funny? You and I had the same surgery on the same day! I can't wait to put on a helmet. Have you ever heard of Deal's Gap? Go to dealsgap.com I just wanna ride the Little Dragon once in my life on my own.
  • I haven't had my surgery yet(Dec17)but I would love to come home from work and not have to go straight to bed because of the pain. I would also love to pick up my 2 yr old granddaughter and not have every scream at me to put her down. She gives me these eyes an I just melt and have to pick her up and give her a hug. :) :) I would also love to cook dinner again for my family haven't been able to do that for a long time.
  • To get OFF of disability! Ready to get healthy and start up my business again!
  • and dont forget to write them out and put them somewhere where you will see them daily.
    I have a time-line board on my cupboard above my kettle that I get to look at evertime I make a cuppa.
    I also have a lot of the goals I have acheived written on it and it is great to see them crossed off. =D>
  • My goals huh!

When these have changed in priority over the last few years, lol! As the events imn my spine unfolded.

But I'd love to walk in the woods/forest and see the bluebells, Get on a plane and have a holiday, and live the normal day I used to...Play with kids, cooking, decorating, gardening...normal stuff.

Oh yeah, this is a good one - Go Xmas shopping! lol!

Nothing out phased me in the past. Now I have to consider everything and I do very little as it provokes my pain and my tolerance is low but my will is high!

I will be back! lol!

• Oh boy Christmas shopping!

Actually our family has made a pact not to do it anymore and to make birthdays special but I know what you mean.

Maybe you can decide to buy 2 or 3 special gifts yourself and get the rest on-line. That is what I had to do last last year.
    At least it is a step forward.

advertisement