Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Understanding report....Help

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone, this is my first time here and boy was I glad to find it. Had a discogram done and what follows is the findings. I must admit that I am a bit confused as to what it all means and hope that someone can help.
COMPUTED AXIAL TOMOGRAPHY LUMBAR SPINE WITH CONTRAST
There is a central disc protrusion at L4-5. There has been a partial left hemilaminectomy. There is no significant neural frontal narrowing. There is moderate central stenosis.
There is a small central disc protrusion at L5-S1. There is mild central stenosis and left neural foraminal narrowing. There is a unilateral pars defect on the left.
RADIOLOGY DISCOGRAPHY LUMBAR
L4-5 Slight disc space narrowing, minor endplate spurring. Contrast extends from the nuclear region and to a posterior disc herniation, encroaching on the spinal canal.
L5- S1 Moderate disc space narrowing. No contrast was injected. It extends throughout most of the disc space, and appears to extend into disc protrusion or scar tissue.

Any help would be great, does this mean that the partial laminectomy wasn't done correctly or in 7 months have things gotten that bad?
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to Spine Health. Unfortunately we can't help you decipher your report. We are all patients just as you are and it would be negligent of me and others were I or them to try and tell you what your report means. Do you have an appointment with your doc soon?

What kind of physical symptoms do you have? What symptoms did you have prior to your partial laminectomy?

"C"
  • yes, I have an appointment in a couple of weeks. Its the waiting that kills me.... I have a constent back pain, that isn't on just one side, it spans the the whole lower area. I have muscle spasms in my butt, running into my right thigh. My right foot heel and toes are numb and deadened to the touch. I had all of these with the exception of the foot problem prior to the surgery. Unfortunatly, I work in a job that requires me to stand on my feet for two hours at a time. So, I am currently out since I only lasted a week after being released. I also feel like I am sitting on a large sack of something on my right side. Thank you for answering
  • I had a similar situation in between surgeries on L4, L5, S1 and my husband would rub Icy Hot into my behind and thighs to help relieve the spasm and pain enough so I could fall asleep. I would wind up getting up in an hour or two and had an exercise mat in the spare room where I'd lie on the floor and try to stretch out enough so I could get up and go back to bed. Didn't sleep much during that time.

I understand not knowing sucks. I would rather not know then get some misleading information to wrap my brain around. It's like someone saying that the only thing left to do is amputate the leg so you do it, when in reality a simple procedure to open up the blood flow to your leg in an overnight procedure would have been better.

I would always use the reusable icepacks wrapped against me with a bath towel to help reduce that for a while.

I understand where you're at, I just don't know how more to help. Sorry.

"C"