Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bilateral numbness/tingling post C4-5 ACDF

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I was rear-ended by a drunk driver on New Years' Eve of 2007 sustaining moderate disc herniations at C3-4 and C4-5. After exhausting all non-invasive methods of treatment, I underwent ACDF surgery at C4-5 on June 13th of this year. Prior to the surgery, I had lost almost all ability to use my right arm/hand due to numbness, pain and weakness, and had the same symptoms to a lesser degree on the left. Movements such as brushing my teeth, writing, even washing my hair became unbearable after a minute or so. Since the surgery, I've regained most of the function bilaterally, but am left with odd numbness/tingling almost constantly, bilateral deltoid pain (like somebody has socked me a good one), and progressive weakness in both arms bilaterally. The numbness/tingling becomes extremely bothersome when I'm sleeping. I wake up constantly with numbness and tingling down both arms and into my pinky and ring fingers of both hands. My wrist also feels funny, right worse than left. I'm finding that one way to stop the numbness/tingling is to sleep with my arms above my head (which isn't natural for me). I also still have pain in my neck, but I guess that's to be expected. Does anybody have any ideas, or experience with this?
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to spine-health. Sorry to hear your still having pains. You wrote that you are having progressive weakness have you discussed this with your surgeon. Also since the surgery have you completed in physical therapy. How about your fusion and what is the progress on it as of now. Did your symptoms get better following the surgery but then returned. I can certainly relate with sleeping with your hands over your head as i that is about the only way I get relief. Keep in mind that nerves take much longer to heal but I would be discussing these concerns with your surgeon. If your getting progressively worse and not seeing any improvements you need to make sure your surgeon understands this. A good thing to do is to chart the pains and symptoms you are having like a journal and take with you to surgeon. Also have a list of questions prepared so as you can make the visit more productive to hopefully get to the bottom of what is causing the problems. Anyway welcome to spine-health and keep us posted as to what happens.