Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Discectomey,Not Fusion at this point.......Better??

kyadog115kkyadog115 Posts: 266
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
HI,
I have a "broken" L-5 disc. It's causing numbness in my left foot and leg.The Neuro says we can just remove the piece thats broken.He thinks thats what pressing on the S-1 nerve root,He wants to do this before radical fusion.My leg is getting weaker and the calf muscle is becoming painful. Does anyone have any advice for me? In Feb'08 I had a 3 level ACDF,plate and screws, had a catheter break in my back and had 2 back surgeries to remove it now this. Will it be a long recoup period?

Thanks,
Paul

advertisement

Comments

• I have numbness in my lower legs and feet since 1993. The surgery did not fix that.

My weakness has improved.

My MMI (maximum medical improvement) took approx 1 year for both surgeries.

Harry
  • and had about 1 1/2 months of normal living until it got worse. My doc told me before the microd I should have a fusion, but couldn't because of my weight issue, so he did the microd to get the pressure off my nerves. That was in Jan, in March I went back (because of the pain I was experienceing) to find out my disk had further collapsed. That's just me though. There are lots of people out there that have them and lead a perfectly normal life. You won't find too many on here tho cuz once they feel better, they no longer come to this web site.
    You may want to get a second opinion just in case.

Caity
  • This is just my personal opinion... But I would start with the lesser surgery. It's much better to try the minor surgery, and if it fails, move on to the next. But if it works, you've saved your body a lot of trauma... And the surrounding disc from being subjected to extra stress.

If it's just the disc pressing on your nerve root, a MicroD could prove to be very helpful. I would say it's worth a try. For me the MicroD was an extremely easy surgery. Less than 24 hours after surgery I was back to doing everything I normally would. That's just my experience, though. You should do whatever you feel is best for you & your situation.