Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Antibiotics post fusion/pre dental work

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all my Spiney friends, I had a little problem today, my crown fell out post and all :( . My surgeon said I should take antibiotics prior to dental procedures. I am going to the dentist tomorrow for a new crown. He called in Keflex 2000mg, take one hour before my appointment. Just wondering who else has taken pre-dental antibiotics and if it was just a one time dose before the procedure. Thank goodness I didn't cancel my dental insurance, almost did cause I am having to pay Cobra now for my benefits. Any input is greatly appreciated. >:D< Cali-Sue
advertisement

Comments

• I had to take antibiotics for an abcess I have under my crown. But it was for 10 days. I used to have to take ampicillin 2 grams before any dental proceedure or surgery due to a mitral valve prolapse as it has been shown endocarditis can happen after dental procedures. But due to further studies they don't do it anymore. Yes I think 1 dose is often given before root canals. Hope everything goes well for you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • hi darlin,
    huggies for you >:D< >:D<
    sorry that happened UGGHH :jawdrop:
    iv never had to take anything for the dentist.
    but i do know we have to let them be aware we had surgery.
    a few dentists here and there will RX antibotics for a abcess i know that much, but i never heard of it after a fusion surgery :? :? :? :? hmmmmmmmmm
    would be curious to see how many hits this gets :?
    will be waiting to hear from ppl ;) ;)

good luck hun!!!! wanna trade???? NO FORGET IT [( [( =)) rather go to the gyno 8}
  • just yesterday and had to take like you 2000mg of antibiotics 1 hr prior to treatment.
    yep it is a one off dose to ensure that you wont get an infection from dental treatment. I only had a check up, clean and scale but they wont do it without meds first.
    I was doing this for my hip replacement and checked with spine Dr and he said yes, to prevent infection in the hardware it is safest to take them.

Gosh how do they fix a crown that has fallen out? I have several in my front teeth and that is my nightmare.

Blessings Sara O:)

• Anytime instrumentation is used (kneel hip, back, etc.), it is wise to be on antibiotics the day of your dentist appointment. I'd rather take antibiotics one hour before seeing the dentist than risk getting an infection at the instumentation site and possibly have to have the surgery done again.

Dick
    Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • So I took my keflex 2000mg at 8 am , dentist at 9 am, and all he did was glue the whole shabang back into the hole in my mouth. Well, guess what, by 1:30 pm it fell out again (taco ;) ). So back to dentist at 4pm, he said take another 2000mg keflex before coming as it had been too long since the am dose. So at first thought I was gonna have it extracted and have to pay $2400 for an implant, but he decided to try to save it and put in a new post and temp crown. Permanent one will be in 3 weeks, and yep another 2000mg of keflex prior to appointment. I think I better start eating yogurt :))(

Well I have always been terrified and hated the dentist, but after spine surgery, it really is a cinch! I guess I can add that to the pros list of this experience, no longer fearful of dental procedures. Didn't even take a xanax first, LOL =))

Terri, this topic has come up before, that is the only way I even knew about it, cause surgey-poo never told me anything about it. When I read about it here, I put it on my on-going list of ?'s for dear doctor and he said yep, best to take them prior to dental procedures. Glad I asked. Thanks Spine Health! :X What I didn't know was if it was a one time dose, or a week, or? So now I know, it is a one time megadose (4 tabs) :P

Thanks everyone! >:D< :* >:D< :* Cali-Sue
  • I just had this discussion with my NS yesterday. Not only pre-medicate before dentist, but anything that is considered an invasive procedure. As long as there is a foreign body (screws, rods, cages,etc.) there is a chance of infection when something is done to the body.

Keith
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
advertisement