Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

microdiscetomy

charrisccharris Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
On Saturday i had surgery on my back for slipped disc pressing on nerves which had caused numb leg and foot. Since surgery i have developed a drop foot (cant move my foot, ankle or toes) and have to wear a leg brace.

Has anyone else experienced this? How long will it last?

Plus i still experience aching pains in my lower back and down my leg, particularly below the knee. Does anyone know how long this will last?

Any advice will be gratefully received. It has all been a bit much for me to take in over the last week or so.

Feeling very fed up now!

Thanks in advance.
Charris
advertisement

Comments

• One thing I can say is that I have heard over and over that when they go in and mess with those nerves it can make them "angry". X( After my diskectomy I had a terrible sharp pain in the back of my right thigh every time I moved in bed or got up from a chair. It was gone the first week after my surgery.

The dropped foot though is worrisome, and I would definitely call the docs office and tell them about it. Especially if you did not have it before surgery.

As far as the pains in your back, you did just have surgery. Does it feel like a different kind of pain then you experienced before surgery?

Again, I would call the docs office just to be safe. I call all the time. :)

Caity
  • Hi again. And thanks for your reply. I have a physio appointment booked next week to check up on drop foot thing i have going on.

Today i have been in quite a bit of pain. I keep telling myself that at least its better than before i had the surgery. But as im lying here in bed my leg ache is really getting me down. Just wish it would all go away!!

Back pain i can deal with. Like you said, i have just had surgery so need to give that time to heal up.

Im just generally feeling sorry for myself lol.

It will all be good in the end!
  • Yikes. Foot drop is a scary thing. I was sent into surgery 12 hours after I saw my doctor for near foot drop. But it was 4 months after my MicroD, and 3 weeks before my scheduled Fusion, so I'm not sure if that made the difference. I know if it's something serious the longer it's the left the more chance it has of becoming permanent... But hopefully it's just the nerve acting up... My surgeon's practice takes weakness and foot drop extremely seriously, but I don't know. Maybe you could request some steroids called into your pharmacy in the mean time... It has the ability help dramatically in some cases. That's what I've had anytime I had nerve issue flare ups... They always called in steroids. Right after my MicroD, a couple days later I had the worst flare up EVER. Felt like someone was repeatedly stabbing my leg over and over and over, and I literally laid in bed and cried for hours, and I have never done that in my life. I don't cry from pain normally. The steroids helped within 8 hours... I felt SO much better. So not sure if maybe they could help you, too.
  • Welcome to the forum charris..How long did you have the injury before you had surgery? Sometimes the longer you have the injury the longer it takes for the nerves to recover. Did you have the foot drop before surgery??

I had a micro-d, laminotomy, plus he took out some overgrown ligaments, etc.in March. I am better now but still have pain. It was a very painful surgery for me and long recovery. I feel I have not recovered, I still have pain everyday, not as bad in my low back though. I still take vicodin, one or two a day when needed. When I had my ADR in my cervical it took a good year or more for all the pain to stop down my arms.

This low back surgery for me was a lot worse than the cervical surgery. According to the MRI now have facet joint arthritis caused by trama; I just had my second nerve block today and am scheduled for nerve ablation 11/24.
    I did not have numbness like you, only pain.

Good luck to you, & no you are not feeling sorry for yourself. It is a major surgery and hurts like h e double L :''( .
    Take care and hope you feel better soon..
advertisement