Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck braces

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I noticed the post about braces. I have been in an aspen collar ever since this whole ordeal started. I noticed one guy said he wore his 24/7 because he did not want to repeat a surgery after his second one, I know what he means. My doc told me I could take it off when sleeping. Is this a wise thing to do? I can sleep with it on if I have to. They told me at docs today that I had better settle in a get used to the pain for awhile. Just wondering about the collar. I DAMN sure do not want to reapeat it again on any level at anytime.
advertisement

Comments

• hey there, I have been wearing mine 24/7 for almost 3 months.. I sleep, shower, and everything else in mine.. This is my second surgery so I am not taking any chances and either is the Dr.. I know that if I took my off at night that I would be in all kinds of strange positions if I took mine off... I will be getting weaned off of mine, if the fusion is starting on Dec 1. I also had a huge amount of surgery done.. I have not started pt yet and that will also start in December...If I can help you anymore let me know,, Cyndi
  • hey mabvn

i slept with mine on for a little over two months. at two months i was able to sleep with it off. i have two more weeks to go until i loose this collar completely.

wow. it's coming to an end. it was really tough getting throough this but i did it. u will too.

my advice . . . since this is my second surgery too . . . the surgeon is usually right on post op care. if u r really worried about it sleep with it on until your next follow up.
  • I've been in a hard collar since Oct. 21, but was given a soft collar last week to wear around the house and to sleep with. I wake up with neck pain when I sleep in the soft collar and, like you, I'm afraid I'm moving my head all over the place while I'm sleeping. So, I've chosen to sleep with my hard collar on most nights. Only you know what you need and when you need it. So just be sure you take care of your neck. It the only one you got! :)
  • Wow, look at all these people in braces at night. I would love to not wear it at night. And like you others, cant control positions once asleep. Under my chin Im very sore. I took cotton batting , wrapped it in tissue and put it under my chin. It seems to help. I have the aspen collar. It is adjustable. Still to much pressure on chin. Im three weeks into this. surgery was Oct22nd. two level fusion. Best to all. Carol13
advertisement