Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Here, Mom of Six

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in New Member Introductions
I'm so glad I found this place! I'm a 37 year-old stay at home mom/former real estate agent and I am hoping for less pain sometime in the near future. My bi-lateral discectomy L 4/5 is scheduled for Dec. 3rd, and frankly I don't know how I'm going to recover while caring for my children. The older ones (18, 15, 11, and 8) aren't a problem; they can pour their own cereal), but I have a 1 and 2 year old who are still in cribs and I can't afford a nanny on my husband's teacher's salary (|: So, I'll try and find a forum for that issue.

Anyway, as of October of last year (after moving a hay bale in preperation for a Halloween Party), I got a real "zinger". Went to the doc, he prescribed the standard 5/325 vicodin, 800 mg motrin and flexeril. I immediately began physical therapy and tens unit. 5 momths later had an MRI, and ruptured disc was found and a tear in another. I've had 4 epidural injections which gave me the worst PMS symptoms I've ever had in my life! No relief. Saw a nurosurgeon and he wanted to immediately do a spinal fusion with the bone marrow. Instead I'm opting for the lesser of the two evils and am hoping the disectomy works. My pain is severe, in both legs,hips/buttocks. My back hurts too, but mostly when I'm lifting babies in/out of carseats, high chairs, cribs, changing tables, etc. Laundry is a real pain too...ha!
So, I'll see what forums I find on here and good luck to everyone in finding relief.
advertisement

Comments

• welcome to spine- health
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. it must be more than hard taking care of babies with your back pain. i am sure you are desperate for a solution. you have tried most all standard conservative measures. please move slowly if you feel the time has come to discuss surgery. you WILL need help immediately after your surgery!!you will be the baby in the house! please be sure and get all your questions answered!! you seem to be doing well on that front!! good luck and i look forward to seeing you around the forum. be sure and check out the "Good News" forum for a read on successful surgeries. <:P also go to the "Back and Neck Surgery" forum as well. Jenny :)
  • I had ACDF surgery in Oct. and here is what I found out about my children. When they see that you're in that much pain they rally around you and do whatever you ask. Even my daughter in law has taken me to Dr.'s appts. when I've been unable to drive. My 16 and 17 year olds run all of my errands for me. My 16 and 17 year olds have learned some new cooking skills. My 16 year old son had never ran the dishwasher in his life but suddenly started doing it without even being asked. I also have a grandson and even he recognizes that Nana doesn't feel good sometimes and will settle with just sitting in my chair next to me instead of being carried all over the house. I know you'll need help with the little ones during the day. Since it's a temporary situation have you tried running an ad in a local newspaper or finding help through a local college? There could be a student who would love some extra Christmas money, could fit you into their schedule and would be MUCH cheaper than a nanny. And craigslist might be an option too. I found my daughter a Spanish tutor on there.
    Welcome to the forum. :H
  • Thanks for all of your kind words of encouragement. I really needed a smile today. :)
  • It's amazing what we find out about our loved ones when they are truly needed. I've been ill for so long I feel really guilty. But I'm going to have to get past that and actually HEAL so that I can pamper my family again. 8>
  • I am sorry to hear of your pain. It seems that in this case having lots of kids at different ages will be very helpful to you. Will you be able to count on help from the older children? Hopefully your recovery will be smooth and quick and you will be up and running (OK maybe not running) in no time. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.
  • I just spoke with a friend who had surgery last Friday. She says she's "feeling pretty darn good". (Her exact words.) So I hope you will do just as well as she seems to be doing. I was amazed when I talked to her today. She was actually up and doing things. She just knew she would be flat on her back for 3 months but here she is a week later and already starting to recover.
  • I am glad to see another mommy here :H .

I also have children that are little, not quite as little as yours but still needy! I also have all the same symptoms as you do :''( :''( .

My legs, both of them hurt soooo bad and the back pain is horrible too. I am glad that you are here. Do you have any family support to help you out?
advertisement