Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

c7 to t1 herniated discs

miss grumpymmiss grumpy Posts: 107
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
has anyone had this and can they tell me what treatment is recomended, also will i be able to go back to running, it is my favourite hobbie.please reply im at my whits end with worry.
advertisement

Comments

• I've had 2 ACDF surgeries on the C7-T1 vertabrae. Unfortunately, everyone is different and there isn't any way to tell how your treatment will go. It all fepends on what is going on in there.

Just because a disc is herniated doesn't necessarily mean surgery. They usually need more symptoms than pain such as nerve or spinal cord involvement. Have you spoken to a neurosurgeon yet?

Try not to panic yet. There are many options and so many people get much better with treatment. Please let us know as much information as possible and we'll try to help you out more, okay?

I know how hard this muct be for you but hang in there. Spine Health is a great place to come with so many experienced people here to offer support. Keep talking to us!

Griff
  • Yeah, there usually are lots of options. It depends on what the doctors say once they've done their diagnostics.

My DO said my problems were focused on C-3 to C-7, with the worst area being C-5 thru C-6. I know I am facing surgery. However, this is after 2 years plus of physical therapy and pain getting worse along with impaired function of my arms.

I do have a question. When surgery needs to be done on T-1 is the structure of T-1 the same as the cervical discs and vertebrae? In other words, do they do the same kinds of surgery on the T discs as they do on the C discs?

Ken GreyEagle
    Greyeagle
  • Ken,

Yes, the same procedure is used on the T1 as on the cervical discs. Sometimes it has to be approached from the posterior if someone has a shorter neck, it all depends on individual anatomy. My surgeon said my neck is so long he could have gone all the way down to t3 LOL! Usually when you get into the lower thoracic discs most docs won't touch it unless there is spinal cord involvement because of the brutality of the surgery. I'm pretty sure there is info on here to illustrate how lower thoracic surgery is done.

Griff
  • hi thank you for your comment, i have numbness in my right hand thumb and middle and index finger, i cant raise my arm more than about 40 degrees to the side im on gabapentin (nerve blocker)diclofenic(anti inflamatory) and co-codamol 30/500 iv had physio when it first happened and sometimes a friend of mine does some traction wnen the pain gets too bad, which does help ,i also have pins and needle sensation in both large toes and numbness in my left hand around thumb and index finger,this has been going on since the first week of july 2008 .
    ps i have a short neck, boo hoo do you think it will need an op or get better over time? i see the neuro on 4th dec.
  • miss grumpy there is no way for me to tell if you need surgery or not. I'm not a doctor, just a cervical patient just like you. Go see the neurosurgeon and write down all the questions you have before you go- it's easy to forget what you want to ask when you're there! Also write down all your symptoms no matter how insignifigant they may seem, it's also easy to forget to tell the doc about something that's been a problem when we have so many.

Do ask him about your friend doing traction on you. I don't know if this friend is a physical therapist or not but at this point I'd be wary about anyone manipulating my neck until you have some answers. JMO, okay?

Let us know what the doc has to say.

Griff
advertisement