Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need some help, newb with back problems

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
Hello, my name is Jim i'll try to keep this short. I hurt myself during cleanup from hurricane Ike I spent about 2 weeks with a chainsaw helping people cleanup. On my birthday of all days sept 28, I helped my uncle cleanup I was dragging alot of heavy trees through a small gate, I think I hurt myself then. Anyways my legs were sore after that , About 4 days later I drove to galveston By the time I got there my butt was starting to hurt and also my hamstring and it just got worse by the time I got home. I spent the next 2 weeks in bed using the rice method. I had alot of pain behind the knee the butt and in the middle I had a knot. I finally went to the dr. He gave me some pain meds and ibuprophine for inflamation. Gave it about another week and decided to see a chiro sports lady and she helped me with stretches and did ultra sound to help the healing. She told me alot of the problem was the sciatic nerve. She thinks I had a hamstring strain and piroiformis syndrome. I continue theropy with her and the hamstring has improved some, the big knots gone but it still gets very tight and painfull and the pain in the rear never seems to get better. I talked her into setting up an mri last friday and here's the results.

minimal disk bulge at the l2 l3
minimal disc protrusion at the l4 l5 as well as bulged disk at l5 s1, slightly more to the right

I went back to my gp and showed him the results and he gave me some steroids and some darvecets, I take my last steroid pill tonight. The chiro gave number to a pain dr I have an appointment with him tommorow.

I really need some advice. This caught me without insurance and i'm running low on money. I cant sit , hardly walk, cant sleep and i'm in constant pain . I work for myself and I cant seem to get my work done , I gimp around on pain pills for a while then have to take a break and lay down I can't get anything done and I cant drive. What should I do now should I go back to my gp and have him send me somewhere? Or should I go to the pain dr the chiro sent me to he's agreed to give me some good cash prices I got my mri done there for a good price but it's at an imaginging center kind of makes me leary.

My symptoms now are low back pain (that started in the mri machine) bad pain in the rear, hamstring pain, and the leg just does’nt feel right. (could sciatic nerve cause this?), toes and heel hurt at times, and it feels like I’m starting to get it on my left side. I can’t sleep very well I might sleep 3 hrs and spend the rest of the night dozing on and off. I also have anxiety issues for the last 10 years and high bp since this started (think the pain causes it) . Is there a better med for the pain I’m on darvecet and it barely takes the edge off. It’s been 2 months so far is it possible for this to heal it’s self with therapy and pain management?

Anyway’s thanks in advance for your help
advertisement

Comments

• I helped out after Katrina so I know how physically exhausting that can be for one thing and mentally exhausting for another. Siatic nerve pain does follow some of the symptoms you're describing. But I'm not a doctor and couldn't say for sure. An orthopaedic doctor might be one to consider. I'm just uncommfortable with GP's and MRI results like yours. I would look for more specialized treatment. I don't know what your financial situation is but if you're anything like most of us around here money is tight and Christmas is coming fast.
  • Welcome to the boards. >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< You are listing the problems that I have. I have all that pain and it is constant in my legs. It is a real pain. You should see if you could apply for any assistance with medical. You would have to go apply at your local social service office. You need to get some help with that pain. I am sorry that you are going through this. I am sure that you are really sufferin :''( :''(
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i have had care at a teaching hospital. check out the "Insurance" forum and look for a sticky about "Teaching hospitals." it might be of some help to you. <:P you can get your MRI there if you qualify. i am sorry you injured yourself. at the best you did it helping others!! =D> please make yourself at home and look around the different forums. good luck with your pain problems. Jenny :)
  • Welcome to Spine Health.

Sorry that you are having such a tough go of it. I look forward to hearing what the pain management doc has to say Tuesday. There are so many things/treatments that pain clinics can do, you might be surprised. I hope that is the case and that somehow you can afford what you need.

"C"
  • Thanks for the help i'm supposed to see a pain dr this week. My leg has felt pretty good for the first time in 2 months, I actually put in a full days work today with the pain minimal, I hope it stays like that. They said something about an injection in the back might help bring the inflamation down to get off the nerve. Has anyone had that done before? Anyways thanks for the response.
  • Yes, there are injections you can get to help with your pain. About 15 years ago I got an epidural and immediately the pain went away...I had what they called back then a "pinched nerve." Anyway, I didn't have any more problems with my back until about Oct. of last year. Pretty good shot, huh? A lot of people have bulges and don't have any symptoms at all. Others do. Sometimes the bulges reabsorb by themselves and don't give any more problems. Try all the conservative treatments you can and be good to your back. Hope you feel better soon!
advertisement