Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

is spine curve affected from L4-S1 fusion....

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 6 mths. post op and am still sitting with my blow up lumbar pillow , pretty well inflated, in my low back area when I sit. I cannot sit all the way back in a chair without it. I do my stretches and strengthening. When they fuse the L4-S1,does it change the lower lumbar curve so you can't sit back without a cushion or is this muscular and passes as time and healing progress?
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Carol

Here's my L2 thru S1. The Dr put a curve in mine:

Harry

• Really good question. I am at not quite 4 months post fusion (L4/5) and have just assumed that the ability to sit without the cushion would get better. I will be really interested in the responses to your question!
  • Harry, that was great! What an awesome pic to satisfy the mental image in my head. I have the same kind of curve but only the cage at L5 S1 which is completely fused and now the new L4 L5 which is well on it's way to being fused.
    Am I to assume you only sit in one position because the hardware does not allow you to sit totally back in a chair or round a bit to get down into a couch? This is what I seem to be facing.
  • The natural position for the lumbar spine is with a curve in it. Over the years we tend to slump forward and use the wrong muscles so that we reduce that curve.

In a perfect body, we would have a natural curve that looks like what Harry has now. It is a great photos thanks Harry.

As time goes on hopefully you will (or we all will) be able to get rid of the pillow behind us. I know mine has decreased in size as I can support myself better. You ahd a brace?
    Blessings Sara O:)
  • I believe the goal is to maintain the lumbar lordosis as is natural. The cages and rods are frequently shaped for this exact purpose. I almost wonder if the fusion is forcing us into better posture, and since it is not flexible we can't curve our spines into the comfy couch slouch position we are used to. I have taken to sitting in my new recliner with a memory foam lumbar pillow since 6 weeks post-op. Prior to that I pretty much didn't sit. I think lumbar support is probably good for us, so I am in no hurry to get rid of it. Now I am only a one level fusion so it is probably less noticeable. I'll have to try out the couch just to see :)
    Take care everyone, >:D< Cali-Sue
  • Hi

My Dr said not to sit more than 1 hour.

My Dr had me get the support in the photo. It is a padded lumbar support. My Dr stresses correct posture for a healthy spine.

Due to pain and stiffness I have to change position often whatever I do...movies, couch, driving.

Harry
  • I'm not sure if you could share the name of your nice lumbar cushion or it's website but I am very interested. I'm sure you'll know since you're the moderator :) Would you pm me the info. if you are not able to post it here?
  • I sent ya a PM. I am new and do not know all the rules.

Harry the motorator....not moderator
  • whoops lol, spellings not my strong point lol!!
advertisement