Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Six months after ACDF surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello everyone, I am six months post op from ACDF surgery of my C6-7. I had a polymer cage for the hardware with some kind of a protein inside the cage. The folowing symptoms were present before surgery: Numbness, tingling and pain throughout my shoulder blades down my arms and hands.

The symptoms are worse now with increased pain. The surgeon (work comp doc) had another mri of my c spine and states that I am fine and sent me back to work with no restrictions. He did not bother viewing the images in my presence.I asked him him why are the problems worse now and his only explanation was because of the injury.

I feel like the surgeon treated me like dirt and was very rude and disrespectful to me on follow up appointments and did not seem to care about my continuing problems. Thankfully my attorney is changing physicians for a second opinion.

Any ideas what could be wrong here? I have medical background and saw the scans and it appeared to me the site is still compressed a small bit. Could it be the doctor did not want to acknowledge the true problem? I feel like I am left worse than before surgery.
advertisement

Comments

• sorry u still have problems after surgery. was your surgeon a ns? i assume u had a mri before surgery? my mri showed spinal cord damage and my surgery was to prevent further damage. i still have similar problems after my surgery. my ns told me they may go away or never go away. i hope u find a great doc for a second opinion because i believe everyone should have a great and caring doc. just a thought about the doc that realeased you to go back to work, hes working for the workmans comp side. good luck and i will pray for u.
  • Thanks 24/7 for the prayer! I had a mri before surgery and of course after the surgery. Yes on the WC doc!!! He just does not want to bite the hand that feeds him.
  • I have never had to deal with WC. But I have heard all of the horror stories. I'm glad you now have a lawyer so that you have an advocate. I would want someone else taking a second look that's for sure. My doctor is great. We stood together at his PC and looked at my MRI together. He also reads me reports and tries his best to explain them to me in layman's terms that I can underdstand. There are good doctor's out there but I know how tough WC docs are. I can say this with some confidence because I have learned so much about ACDF and talked to so many people that I know some symptoms can stay around for quite a long time. I was in the same boat as stiff neck my surgery was to prevent further damage. So I had little time to do my homework before surgery. My doctor told me that I could expect my pinky finger to stay numb or tingling for maybe up to a year. Rate of growth for nerves is quite slow. I can never remember exactly the growth rate. The pain in my shoulder didn't happen until after surgery and he explained that to me too until I was comfortable with his answer. I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience with this Doctor. I will keep you in my prayers that you find the right doctor who will treat you humanely and hopefully be able to help alleviate your pain. All of our best wishes to you. Keep us updated.
  • Hi Kc I did laugh at "thats my story and I am sticking to it" Its great to hear that its hard to be positive at times. Maz
advertisement