Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain in sacrum while sitting

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I had a microdiscectomy on a moderately-severely ruptured L4-L5 disc in May. I'm a 34 y.o. guy and I'd injured it last December while doing a deadlift at the gym. I tried all the usual drugs, physical therapy, epidural injections, before doing surgery.

Things seemed to be going great after surgery (no lingering pain or numbness at all) until August when the lower back and hip spasms, sciatic pain down both legs, etc. came back, far worse than what I had before surgery. The docs interpreted my situation as scar tissue after surgery so I ended up getting more epidurals and drugs. My pain is still about 5/10.

Anyways -- when things went down the tubes in August, I also started to have problems sitting because it feels my sacrum and L5 are always irritated and protruding, like a burning or sharp feeling. I get it when I lie down sometimes, too. Walking and standing seem to be ok, but sometimes walking I feel a little uncomfortable pull on my rear end.

Has anyone else felt this? The docs have not been particularly insightful explaining what this is. Any thoughts on chair or cushion types that might work for me?

Thanks!
advertisement

Comments

• dc-welcome to SH.. I have sitting pain and use padded chairs, pillows and a donut cushion to help. I would ask the dr about having more tests done like another MRI instead of the dr guessing. It may be scar tissue but it could be another problem as it sounds like it came upon you suddenly.

I had an attack of severe pain 1 night upon waking and found that I had a new problem with L3-L4 disc with nerve irritation with a new MRI.

I had surgery from L2 to L5 and I still have problems sitting and usually need to put a pillow, towel or even a rolled up jacket or sweater in the small of my back.

Just my opnion, but I would ask the dr to consider another MRI as the treatments have not helped that you just had.... :))) jade
  • Or lying in bad (ask my partner).
    Sometimes standing up is a big issue. Sometimes walking.

I also use donut & other cushions. Got myself an electric-engine recliner. And pain killing opiates...

I don't like it all.

6-7 months after my cervical surgery I had (unidentified) & unbearable pains around D8.
    They gave me Percoset & than Oxycodone, which helped me
    with the pains but they knocked me out.

The pain there are vague now and I can live with them (it is hard however, not to know what caused them).

As th D8 pains were fading - a bad sciatica pains started and I have them now for about 8 months.
    PT didn't help, acupuncture doesn't help. ESI didn't help.
    I shall have (in 11 days) L4-L5 disk Coblation Nucleoplasty.

Has anyone here had this treatment?

Who had done it to you an ortho or a NS?

Thanks for any response.

Yona
    Y.S IL
  • ME TOO, I also have severe pain sometimes when i sit i usually use my heating pad, i have herniations in the same area as you but never had surgery they didnt think i needed it.
    well i had epidural injections in those areas,, OMG ,, ouch. not the injections them self but a day or two after i was sitting down and i couldnt move i felt like i was being electricuted from my rear up my back,,, i couldnt move it lasted a week i will never forget that pain.

Just try not to sit straight on the area use a pillow like many said i hope you feel better. Im sure this cold weather isnt helping.. unless your from somewhere warm... then in that case lucky you, cause the cold weather is making everything hurt today.

DAWN
  • I also have pain in the sacrum. I am sacralized at L5-S1 but my doc says that does not cause my pain there. I think he is wrong.
  • Thanks for the feedback - I'm off to a back store tomorrow to find a good cushion for my office chair. I've found that icing or using a heat pad when I sit helps makes things tolerable, but that's not an option all the time.
  • ive just been put on a waiting list for spinal TLIF surgery to L5..i have the pain you are explaining i think. im sitting here now on a dining room chair and i feel that if i really tuck my backside under me so that where the pain is is being stretched out, it helps, also i make sure that the rest of my back is leaning against the hard back of the chair so im nice and straight without straining.

Its not right though to feel like this, and im hoping my surgery will get rid of this pain..i get it on standing and sitting mostly, im better if i keep moving.

I feel not too bad sitting here now, but will be sorry when i get up again, for being in one position too long is not good for me, i will take a while to straighten up.

I feel as if im bending my spine backwards too much all the time, hence tucking my backside under me as much as possible when i sit...i even do it in the car....its something that ive taught loads of people when i used to teach horse riding, so if youve ever sat properly on a horse, youll know what i mean!!

try it, hope it helps!
advertisement