Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back to work in 8 hours

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well the day is almost here. I am going back to my job as a RN in the morning. I am 3 1/2 months post fusion. I got my xray done this morning, and not official yet, but I think I see some fusion =D> While I know it is good news to be able to return to work, I am a little apprehensive. I am going to be extra careful for sure. So I better get off here and try to get some sleep I) I) I) Take care everyone and have a great Friday, >:D< Cali-Sue
advertisement

Comments

• =D> Take it easy...try not to overdo.Enjoy!
  • I hope you're feeling well enough to go back. Hope you have a great day. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • :) take it as easy as you can!! have a really great day!! <:P you must be both excited and apprehensive. =)) just take care of yourself and it will all be ok. =D> if you think a movement is going to hurt you, don't do it, get some help for a few days!!! remember your mechanics of lifting! Jenny :)
  • Bless you hun! Take it easy and no rolling those bed rest ladies! Keep those beds really high (they do go way up for cleaning,lol. Ask for help, beg if you need to. Your co workers need to understand that if you over do it you may be off again to recover longer. Best wishes to you!

hugs,
    Shell
  • Glad to hear you're going to get back to work. We need good RN's. Be careful today. And if you reach a point when you think you can't do anymore just remember.

II Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

I just love that! I may have to put it on my wall at work. :))) What an inspiration.
  • I hope you have a good first day back. Please let us know how everything went for you. What type of Nursing do you do?

I am an RN, too, and would appreciate any tips on returning to work. I am hoping to return the first week of January.

Take care and rest today!
    Elle
  • I hope you have a good day too! Going back to work is scarey and makes you worry about everything you do. I hope that your back feels okay and nothing twinges all day. Go easy and sit when you can.

Melisa
  • Oh I wish you SOOOOO well. Please let us know how you do.
  • Wow thanks everyone >:D< . Well I made it. It wasn't easy and I am so glad to be home now. My boss gave me a decent assignment thank goodness, and assigned a student to help me in the AM. I held up pretty good until 6 PM and then felt so tired and got a headache. My back did pretty good, just my usual tight feeling. I took tylenol 2 times and motrin once. I have permission to take NSAIDS now, but will try to limit it. Feeling better now after a Norco. I was very careful with my body mechanics and I know I need to make that a life long habit. Everyone was nice and supportive. Thanks for all the well wishes :X . I have the weekend off to recooperate, then work Monday and Tuesday. I do think 8 hours would be easier, but the 12 hours give us nurses lots of days off ;) >:D< :* >:D< :*
  • you coped with the day. 12 hrs is a long day for sure but I know what you mean 2 have more days off.
    Just make sure that the staff dont treat today as a one day special connsession for you. You may have to remind them from time to time that this is still new to your back LOL

So realx and enjoy the weekend. Not to much <:P <:P <:P

Big hugs and blessings Sara O:)
  • Hello Elle, I am a post-partum/newborn nursery nurse (pediatric nurse at heart). I worked peds for 17 years and switched to pp/nsy to get a day position. I miss peds dearly, but my job is fun too at times. It is just crazy busy all the time. We have a 42 bed unit and it is often full, like today, plus patients overflowed onto another unit.

As for returning to work, I would just say don't go back until you feel ready. I took 3 extra weeks off so I could work on my core strength and back muscles. I am trying to use good sense, good mechanics, and ask for help when needed.

Good-luck to you in your recovery, take your time,
    >:D< Cali-Sue
  • Thanks Sara, I know what you mean about the one day special. I know it won't last forever. I had a boss I like today, not everyone is that conscientious. I am keeping my eyes open for any new job postings that seem more spiney friendly :D

• so glad you made it through!!
    i know those babies don't weigh much but the mamas do!! so just be careful ;)

if you do not behave then we will move you to geriatrics where all you do is give meds/paperwork etc and the LPN's do the rest of the work :D

hope your not to sore when you wake up love buggy!!
    it will take a few weeks for that back to get in the swing of things.

love ya lots
    terbear
    O:)
  • I'm so happy for you! Thanks for the update and keep on getting it, girl. Please continue to be careful and have a great restful weekend.
  • Uuuuggghhhhh, GERIATRICS! I promise to behave cause that aint gonna happen! =))
  • Hope your first day went well! Just take it one day at a time, some will be fine some will be torture, but it is so worth it being able to be working full-time. Just listen to your body and rest when you need to, and you will do great! I have been back to work for about 6 months. The first few months were very hard, but once you get through you will feel such pride!
  • I'm glad you made it through you're first day back. That's awesome you're back so soon. Hope things go well for you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • That was my specailty when I was working.I worked in the SPU(specail care UNIT)with dementia & Altziemers patients.Hard work geriatrics are,but I looked at it as hey'this could be my mom',so I did a good job with my patients...always allowing them their dignity,as I would want mine.

It takes a specail person to do your kind of work(IMO).I'm glad you made it through ok,and hope it gets easier as time goes on.
  • I am so impressed you are back at work already! Good for you!

My surgery was a week or so before yours and I can't even imagine trying to work a 12 hour day. Please take it easy and take care of yourself!
  • Robin, Paul, Charry, Jenny, Chell, Tonya, Elle, Melisa, Phxchele, Sara, Terri, Joy, Emily, and Meg.....Thanks so much for all your well wishes and awesome support. =D>

This site has been such a reprieve for me during my recovery. I have gotten such great support, advice, and a bunch of awesome new friends. I don't think I would have made it without all of you! :X I plan to stick around, but I know I will have less time now that I am back to work
    :( .

I was a little sore today, so I went to the Y and did my water PT routine, and felt better after. I know I am still recovering and I plan to be cautious and take it easy still.

I am so thankful to have met all of you and to be part of this wonderful community of Spineys :)
    >:D< :* Cali-Sue
  • How are you doing with being back at work? I was hoping to get back to work next week but my NS has postponed my appointment until the 19th. I am almost 5 months post-op.I have very mixed feelings about trying to go back. I will have to lift on heavy packages and trays of mail. I just don't want to back slide. I hope you are doing well and please check back in and let us know how you are doing.

Kel
  • Hi Kelly Jo, work is going okay. It is very tiring for sure and my back feels stiff and tired by the end of the day. But good news is no more limping, yay, so I can manage with a little pain. I ice on my break, and am being extra careful with good body mechanics. I am getting help with transfering patients off gurneys and such. Actually just doing it the correct way to begin with, so many nurses want to rush and put their backs in jeopardy in the process. Thanks for inquiring about me. I hope you continue to improve, and by all means take whatever time you need to recover. I took 3 extra weeks from the original plan of 12. I am working this weekend so got to get to sleep. Have a great weekend, >:D< Cali-Sue
advertisement