Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ESI not sure it worked

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Spinal Injections
I had my first ESI on my thoracic spine on Tuesday. The first day I felt pretty good but that was probably because of the numbing agents. The next day, Wednesday I thought I the pain was lower and yesterday I felt darned good but today I woke up and my shoulder blade area is killing me and the pain seems to back full force.

Could I have over done it yesterday because I felt good or am I just having a flare up. I don't know what to tell them when they call to see how I am doing (Surgery Center Called the next day)should I get another one? I guess I will wait a few more days to see how I am doing.

I was really praying that this would be the fix.

Anyone have any ESI stories?
advertisement

Comments

• I was always told by my PM that it could take up to 2 weeks for the injection to work. Mine were for lumbar, I don't know if there is any difference in response time for thoracic.

Do you have a follow-up appointment with your doctor? Whenever I had a ESI, I always had an appointment with my doctor 2-4 weeks after.

I hope you start feeling better again. It is possible that you overdid it, since you were feeling better.
  • Hopefully your ESI will help the pain. I had 2 epi's lumber area and my leg feels much better and it's been 4 weeks after the 2nd. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • They are supposed to call in a week or so to see how I am doing. Its day 5 and I just got out of bed and directly in to the hot tub. I don't think its going to be a good day.

Is it possible that it only worked for 3 days? Trying to keep a positive attitude here. :S
  • It's still early and may take longer for a bit of relief. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Okay, it still hurts BAD!!!! I don't know whether to have another one or not. I guess if they are willing or think a second would benifit me I will have a second one as they are know big deal. I am so very tired of all of this. :S
  • Hi Suziee,
    I was wondering how things were going for you? I kept looking to see what happened at your Dr. appt last week... Did they give you anything for your pain yet?
    I had my ESI on the 10th and the initial pain went away a few days later, although I can still feel where they did the injection. Weird, huh? The ESI did not work for me. I am still having the same leg pain. My doc told me to stop the Neurontin for a while to see if the injection worked, but after a week, I started it again, since I did not see any improvement. I called the surg. center a week after the procedure (the Anesthesiologist asked me to check in then), so we can get the bone scan ordered, but I haven't heard back. I am going to try again tomorrow. I hate bugging them though!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,736
    results. Its one of the more discussed topics here at Spine-Health. Personally, I've had numerous ESI's done to my lumbar, thoracic, and cervical areas (at different times)
    With some of them, I have received some relief (mostly lumbar related), but with the others, I felt no improvement after having them.

The first 2-3 days after the actual ESI, you may have some pain in the injection site and then from that time on, you may see results. For some it could take up to 2-3 weeks before it could be said It worked or It didn't

You mentioned you may have overdone it. I would have hoped that part of your ESI instructions were to lay pretty low for a couple of days and not to engage in physical activities. When you do speak to the medical office, make sure you tell them what you did after the ESI.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi Allie,

I'm sorry your injection didn't work. I have heard of bone scans but not sure exactly what they are looking for. So what are they looking for? They have put me on nuerontin and I think it may be helping, at least with the tingling and burning in my foot. It seems I am feeling less pain as the day progress's where as before I got worse as the day went by. Could it be the nuerontin? Also does nuerontin have to build up in your system?
    Are you going to have another ESI? The jury is still out for me.

Hi Ron,
    Yes they did tell me to lay low at least for the day which I think I did. I didn't lay in bed but I didn't run a marathon either. The next day I did some house cleaning and grocery shopping which I probably shouldn't have done but its so dang hard not to want to do something when the pain is down low. My husband says I need to learn to "bank" it but I don't know if that would do any good or not. I think if you feel fairly good one day and you just lay around, it doesn't nessesarily mean you are not going to hurt the next day.

Overdoing it seems so subjective now that I have this chronic pain, what I used to do without even thinking twice is a major ordeal and that makes me angry. I should be able to sweep a floor without having to pay for it later.

Anyways, I'm not sure what I am going to do about a second ESI. It didn't hurt at all to get it so I may get another if they think it may help. Otherwise I'm not sure what I am going to do.

advertisement